Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fairly tough basstab

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by numb, Apr 20, 2004.

1. numb

numb

Apr 20, 2004
    hi everyone,

I've been playing the guitar for a coupla years and got a bass recently.
    now I'm looking for a tab of a fairly tough song or bassline to sort of evaluate my skills ;)
    would be good if the song was kinda well-known, it should be challenging but doable :)
    any ideas?

thx
    numb

2. Uh-oh......

3. oh oh oh...pick me , pick me..I think I know.....

4. Eigth note? Is that the thing what looks like a golf club wit a flag on it?
    No wait, its the little football looking thing right ?

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    This thread is on the verge of being closed not because of the original topic, but because of the useless posts that followed it. If you cannot post in reference to the original question, please do not post at all. The tab forum is not a place for "freebies".

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The Awakening, Anathesia, Moonlight Sonata; all of these sound cool without being overly technical or difficult

...sorry Superduck

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    SD is more forgiving than I am -- I was about to delete everything but the first post (I may still go back and "clean it up").

Some people never learn.

:rolleyes:

8. Ditto Superduck, I should practice what I preach and keep quiet if I don't have something positive to say.

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Deleting all other posts in this thread - editing this one and biting my tongue. Talkbass is not fun anymore.

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Well, I didn't mention any names and I didn't have you in mind specifically when I made my comment, so there's no need to get so defensive. You can be as humorous as you want to be on TalkBass. As a moderator, all I ask is that you obey the forum rules. SD and I have both posted reminders to fellow TBers, that posts that stray from the topic (or bash tab in any way, or harass a poster for requesting tab) will be deleted and in extreme cases, the thread may be closed. SD made the comment that some of the posts in this thread were bordering on inflammatory (well, he didn't use those exact words) and I agreed with him. The difference between SD and I is, when I say "no free posts in Tabs," I'm gonna remove the offending posts rather than close the whole thread, because I don't feel the need to punish the thread starter because a few of you don't "get it."

If you have a problem with any of my comments, or how I choose to co-moderate this forum, you are free to contact SuperDuck, or go directly to Paul with your concerns. I mean, I could be wrong here...

EDIT: TalkBass isn't fun anymore, because you can't get away with "freebies" in the Tab forum?

11. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Try some "J.S. Bach" for Bass. I'm not sure but I think he wrote a lot of his pieces as bass (cello) solo's. There is a sheet / tab book you can get, or look em up online. It will be a good way to measure your skill though, most of it is very fast and very complex. Note: You can play them slow also and it will still sound good.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Much love to everyone that can deal with the fact that forums need moderation. Your maturity is appreciated. :)

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The bass solo in Orion by Metallica isn't particularly hard; I was able to pick it out by ear and I am not great in this respect, but it is a cool melody that will stick in your head all day.

Maybe you could try that or My Friend of Misery. Both tasteful, cool, melodies

14. numb

numb

Apr 20, 2004
    so what's wrong with my request, why does it make some people start spamming/flaming?
    well thanks to those who answered, spammers might just stfu when they got nothin to say, and thats not just a good rule in online forums ;)

15. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Led Zeppelin - The Lemon Song.....it'll either make you a star, or send you home crying......

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Chill out dude, we all apologized to the mods and all is well, it is a non-issue.

How about instead of getting mad at people for not spoon feeding you answers, you try a search next time. I know I have seen two or three different Best Bass Solo threads, so you could try learning some of those songs.

Good luck, with the song

17. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    My suggestion would be to find a tab archive and browse through it for songs that you know. I'd probably aim for someone like Rush (popular band, some great bass playing and lots of tabs) and perhaps a song like YYZ but it depends on what's in your collection.

However, do bear in mind that:

(a) There's no guarantee that any given tab is completely accurate. They're freely contributed by people of widely varying skill and there's no checking or grading system. If it doesn't sound right, it probably isn't.

(b) In most situations that I've come across, being able to play from tab has not been a particularly 'marketable' demonstration of skill. If you want to evaluate your skills, try also testing yourself at things like reading standard notation, transcribing from recordings and playing by ear.

Wulf

18. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    How recently is recently? If we're talking about less than 6 months, I don't think you're going to be able to play any bass solo?

However, I have a challenge for you. See if you can find a tab for Got a Match? by the Chick Corea Elektric Band and play it on your guitar. Then, come back and tell me how it sounds.