Faital 10FE200 sealed cabinet. Anybody?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Miguel001, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Miguel001

Miguel001

May 29, 2007
    Hi from Argentina!

I was offered some Faital 10FE200 speakers for a price that I consider a bargain.

I would like to know if anybody has experience building a sealed cabinet using these speakers. WinISD model looks as good as with eminence legend 810´s... (low fq)

Many years ago, I used to own a mid 70s ampeg 810 cabinet that sounded great (or at least I remember it like that).
    Now when I m touring, I sometimes play trough a rented modern ampeg 810 and don t feel it sounds that good.

My actual cabinets are 2 ported 15" Faital loaded and they sound great. I wonder how would this setup compare with a nice sounding 810 sealed cabinet in real life situations...

Thanks!!!

2. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    These faitals are good candidates for such an 810. The high Qes will give a slight bump around 120hz, good for a solid punch.
    If you like a closed 810 these drivers will do the trick, espcially if you can buy them cheap.

Edit:
    If you give them 20liters each, you'll have a -3dB point at approx 71hz, total Q will be around 1.25 (this will give you a 2dB midbassbump between 90-170hz )
    If you give them 15liters each, you'll have a -3dB point at approx 77hz, total Q will be around 1.38 (this will give you an even bigger bump, I would choose at least 20liters per driver)

3. Miguel001

Miguel001

May 29, 2007
    Thank s for your answer. I agree with you. 20 liters minimum per driver so the bump is not so pronounced.

Do you think that this particular low-mid heavy response is usefull for most situations? (I play with clasic 4 string basses in a classic rock band with 2 guitars...)

4. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    I feel like kringle77's tried these? Do a search and see what you find. I think it's buried in one of his threads. That will tell you how the mids and highs sound.

20l sounds low to me. Typically 1cf (~28l) is thrown around as a decent starting point and approximately what drivers get in an SVT or V4 cab. Just modeled them and yeah, at Q = 0.707, they want like 400cf. Putting them in 20l boxes just looks extreme to me, but I've never heard it, so maybe not. It's just under a 3dB bump, and I'm told 3dB is about the threshold for being able to tell a difference. So that does make sense.

Arjank, I know you know your stuff, so I'll defer to you.

OP, one trick you can try is stuffing the crap out of the box. That will help control that bump and in a way makes the speaker think it's in a bigger box than it is.

Anyway, yeah, they're worth a shot. You never know until you put them in a box and play them with your gear in your situation. They're high enough quality, too, that worst case if they don't work out they'll still have some value for resale.

4 string classic rock? Low-mid punch will be perfect for that.

And you'll get the best results if you post a build thread on Talkbass. ;)

5. Miguel001

Miguel001

May 29, 2007
    Thanks for your time astack.

"OP, one trick you can try is stuffing the crap out of the box. That will help control that bump and in a way makes the speaker think it's in a bigger box than it is."

You mean filling the box with some soft material?

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    In your situation it's very useful. Pretty much what rock bass has sounded like for going on 40 years or better.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The lowend profile in Arjanks 20 liter alignment will feel very, very close to Ampegs 810. Other differences in sound If any will occur further up in the mids and topend of that driver.

8. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah, I haven't experimented much with it, but there are tons of materials used that could work.

This or similar is typical, especially for sealed cabs:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-317

Or using either mattress topper "egg crate" foam, or similar upholstery foam.

You're probably safe just going for it, but if you have the time and inclination, it could be helpful to build a cheapy MDF 2x10 test box with them to experiment with the box size and stuffing. You can oversize the box and then use hard foam placed inside to try smaller box volumes. That way when you go to build the real deal, you know you'll like the final sound.

9. Miguel001

Miguel001

May 29, 2007
    Thanks again for all your replies! i will try and see what cames out. I trust faital speaker as I m already using 2 15s with great results.

10. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Thats what I intended to achieve and thats what i think the OP is after if he wants an 810.
    It's far from a "by the book" ideal alignment but it will work for getting a massive rock tone, the Ampeg 810 has proven this.
    Though it's not my cup if tea these cabs have their place in the bassworld.

As far as damping goes, just stuff it with the regular foamy stuff or mattress topper, only make sure you don't "choke" the drivers if you understand what I mean, leave enough room behind the drivers so they can still breath a little :smug:

11. Miguel001

Miguel001

May 29, 2007
    Yeah. I modeled it with a 20 liters cab and added stuffing. the bump softens when looking at the transfer magnitude graph (cab eq).

max spl stays the same

So it should work

Thanks again!!! apreciate your advices. I will post the results.

Faital´s mid and high response is very even... This could be something not very attractive for somebody looking for a particular speaker voicing at that fqs. I think that it should be possible to eq boost that mid-hi range if needed...

12. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I had Don from Low Down Sound build me an 810 using these. I basically came to Don requesting an 810 that sounds likemy 70's Ampeg (which found way too heavy and didn't want to mod a vintage amp to have tilt back casters) and my Bergantino NV610 (which I sold after I got this). He did some extensive research for me, and said these were the best off the shelf to meet my needs. The price and weight are hard to beat as well.

I'm not an amp designer by any means nor am I a tone guru, but this 810 does exactly what I wanted it to do, it sounds just like the 70's ampeg. He was also able to build the cab to be around 100 pounds, which is wonderful. I play vintage P basses into either an SVT or Ashdown ABM into this cab, with my VT Bass pedal. The thing has awesome tone.

Other members have mentioned stuffing the cab. Don did stuff the heck out of the thing, not sure what this does, but wanted to confirm this.

While I can't comment on the specifics of the design, because I'm not an expert with cab design, but I have these drivers in a sealed 810 and they rock.

I remember doing research during the build and reading threads saying these drivers aren't adequate for bass blah blah blah. As others have mentioned, you have to try it and see if it works. For me, these drivers work great. I'm in love.

13. Miguel001

Miguel001

May 29, 2007
    wow creis!!! thanks man!! i bought 8 x 10FE200 today for half the price they are in the US. That s a bargain here in ARgentina!

I m so happy to read your experience. I do understand some concepts about how speakers work inside cabinets, and found these drivers after my own research. The heavy stuffing softens the bump that naturally occurs between 100 and 200 Hz when they are loaded in around 20-25 liters per driver. It s a way of voicing the cab without having to build it bigger..

Cheers!! Miguel

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021