1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Faital PR400..PR500..LDS...Orange cab questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rock-N-Dawg, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Rock-N-Dawg

Rock-N-Dawg

Sep 18, 2010
    Corona CA
    I was looking at buying a Fender 100T, but got myself in trouble on EBAY with "make an offer" and ended up with a Orange AD200B...Which doesn't make a lot of sense based on all I want is good clean thumpy rattle the windows tone. My band isn't all that loud so I'm hoping the Orange will still work out.
    I was thinking of buying a pair of OBC115 cabs...but they will run me around a grand plus, don't have that good of speakers, are heavy for their size but, would look pretty darn cool!
    That's a cool option but what seems better is Don at LDS will make me a semi matching 2 x 15 cab with some really good speakers for a lot less money and a lot less weight!
    Don recommends Faital PR400s speakers, but looking at the specs the newer Faital PR500s look like they might be worth the extra money (@$100 more) based on I want a ported cab and the X max is a lot longer. Don has never tried the PR500 but said the specs look real good.
    Questions:
    You think the Orange AD200B will even get me the sound I want? (it hasn't arrived yet!)
    Would 2 Orange cabs have any advantages over the LDS except for looks?
    You think the Faital PR400 or Faital PR500 speakers would be better for me?
    (the PR500s have larger X Max and power handling but actually lower sensitivity)
    Anybody even use the Faital PR500s yet?
    Everyone who uses Faital PR400s like them....they have good low bass?

Thanks ed

2. I am not seeing a 15PR500 on their site. Do you mean the 15FH500? If that is the case you are giving up sensitivity and top end content. The FH might benefit from a mid driver. Low end and power handling will be dictated by the porting.

3. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I had Don build me a ported 2x15 loaded with Faital 15PR400's last year to go with my 200w Fender Studio head. Plenty of low end on these, and the 2x15 is very sensitive (~102db), so I get the most out of the Fender's 2oow. The cab sounds (and looks) great, and handles the 2oo tube watts with ease. It also handles 300w from my Walkabout perfectly well too.

I have no experience with the PR500's so can't comment specifically. The PR400's are pretty robust drivers, given that you don't plan on blasting walls with this cab, not sure what you would really gain with the higher X-max vs the 400's.

good luck

4. Rock-N-Dawg

Rock-N-Dawg

Sep 18, 2010
    Corona CA
  5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    More excursion but lower sensitiviy may be a wash. Take more power to get to the same place. It may extend lower but give up topend to get there.

IMO, that sort of stuff works against ypu with tube amps.

The 15pr400 has enough excursion to make a good bass cab, and has the rest of the bases covered as well. Really nice driver on its own, doesn't need mids, tweeters, subs, crossovers or any of that stuff.

PawleeP likes this.
  6. I do not think you will gain anything from the FH500 with a 200 watt amp.

iualum likes this.
  7. Modeling results suggest that a pair of the 15PR400's (in the right cabinet) will easily handle the AD200B. I could not find a listing for a 15PR500 (even on the Faital website), but did find a 15FH500. It offers more Xmax and power handling, neither of which is an advantage over the 15PR400 when used with the AD200B. The 15FH500 is also not as extended in the high frequencies, so is not as suitable as a 'full range' driver. Use the money saved to buy good preamp tubes for the AD200B.

PawleeP likes this.
  8. Rock-N-Dawg

Rock-N-Dawg

Sep 18, 2010
    Corona CA
    Wow thanks for all the GREAT FAST RESPONSES! Sounds like the 400s are better for me, plus being Don uses these all the time (and recommends them) he would probably get the porting and box size perfect.
    As long as all the experts keep making comments....orignally I was going to have him use Delta lites, Don recommend the Faitals for about 100 bucks more. Is the overall feeling the Faitals are better? Thanks again!

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Than 15" deltalites? Ya, the Faital is a nicer driver...unless there is something particular about the DL's voicing you really like.

10. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.

Can't say enough about the 15 pr400. I have one in a Bassic 15 and it is all that I could ask for in a single driver cab. It is pretty close to the old JBL 15's ( the K140 ) in that it has a sweet top end, and enough grunt on the bottom to be one of the best full range 15's available, imho.

CL400Peavey likes this.
  11. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I have the Faital in my Bassic15 as well. Amazing lows, clear mids, plenty of highs... Hmmm just what a speaker should do :) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402614708.022225.

12. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
  13. The 15FH500 looks like a nice driver, with basically the same bass extension as the 15PR400 and a significant increase in Xmax. However, there are some tradeoffs. In order to increase Xmax the '500' has a longer voice coil: it has more mass and inductance. As a result, the '500' 1) rolls off earlier on and off axis, and 2) is about 3 db less sensitive. Many players who are pleased with the '400' run full range may prefer a midrange with the '500' (needs to be crossed around 1 kHz). While the '500' will produce more deep bass, it will not get louder overall, because its thermal power handling is only 100w more than the '400', but the sensitivity difference is approximately 3 db (based on 1w response curves, not specs). For those who have been 'blowing through' 15PR400's, the 15FH500 may be a useful improvement. For those who enjoy the 15PR400 run full range, this is not likely a real improvement. It's all about compromises.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  14. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Go with the PR400's and JJ's in the preamp. It'll clean up your head real quickly without killing that wonderful Orange tone.
    Btw, that amp uses a Fender tonestack, so flat frequency response is with Bass and Treble at 8 o'clock and the Mid maxed out.

15. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    I'd agree with this. Won't be able to utilize the Xmax (which is really excellent, of course).

16. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    The Delta Lite 2515s are really fine drivers & would make a 215 at least as good as the best commercially available 215. But I'd rather pay the increased dough & do the 15PR400. Definitely. The 15PR400s are arguably one of the two finest 15s currently available. The other is the Eminence 3015 (not the 3015LF, unless you want to also use a dedicated midrange driver). The 3015 is the alternative. There seem to be at least a few more guys who like the Faital better, but I favor the Eminence.

17. If you like cleans 3db greater efficiency is huge with the ad200. You'll be able to eq in lows if needed and be able to hear them with the more efficient driver and still not have to worry about the xmax. Just remember that ad200 master is clean all the way to max with the gain set low enough

18. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    nice thread.. however i can't seem to find any vented cab size recommendations
    i do see that that the qts are suited well for a ported cab though
    still researching what 15's would be best for a 200s type sunn clone cab internal dimensions of each chamber is kinda hard to measure, but i think it is around 2-2.2cf (in each chamber). have 12' adapter plates made already and was considering 3012's or delta pro450's, but think that a cab this big should get 15s, read that cb158's would work but am also looking at pr400's or beyma 15WR400's cant find cab size recommendations on either.
    any thoughts appreciated. p

19. Find Johnk_10 thread diy cab he called Starliner.

PawleeP likes this.
  20. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    Don built me a similar cab - ported 2x15 Faital PR400 - a few years ago. Great cab, still have it.

TAZ likes this.