1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Faital Speakers in an Eden Metro: Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazz Cat, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Jazz Cat

Jazz Cat

Mar 31, 2009
    Chesapeake, VA
    So, for several years now, my Eden Metro has been sitting around. I bought it new as a '98 model which means it puts out 200 @ 8ohms, 400 @ 4ohms, and 600 @ 2ohms.

The issue was that I started to do a lot more doubling between a 4-string Spector and a 5-string NS Design CR-5M upright. Both instruments sound amazing and I hardly every use much EQ if any on the amp (only for room correction). Where the issue came in is with the upright and the thump. For a while, I combated this with a variable high pass filter, but I haven't had much luck finding one that doesn't color the plucking and playing with a bow. Regardless, I stopped using the combo years back because it couldn't keep up with the outside gigs as the headliner in Va. Beach (outdoor amphitheaters).

So, I've been playing/toying with, much like many of us, trying to come up with various modular setups for various venues. In this research, I came across the Faital speakers and the light went off.

Some questions:
    What if I replaced my 10" speakers in my Metro with 4ohm Faital versions wired in series for 2ohms?

If I didn't run a crossover for the 10s, but did run to the stock crossover for the stock horn in series, what would happen to the horn? Am I off base thinking that it would be just fine? Any issue still using the attenuator?

How do some of the Faital speakers compare to the original Eden's (I always thought the Edens were a little harsh due to a spike I'm guessing around 1.2k, not to mention they can't handle much excursion or X-Max)?

Is the Metro cabinet (essentially a 210XLT) with ports at the top and bottom, acceptable for the volume (space) required for the Faital speakers?

Which Faital 10" speakers would someone suggest?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. You would need to model a few different through software to know. BTW you wire two 4 ohm speakers parallel to get 2 ohms. Series will get you 8 ohms. The horn and crossover are always wired parallel to woofers.

3. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    A two ohm load will get a lot of watts from your amplifier but probably not much additional volume--for that you need more speakers. (The Eden speakers are hella loud as you know, so you could end up with less overall perceived volume in spite of the extra wattage.) The crossover, attenuator and horn wouldn't be affected because the "crossover" is only a high-pass filter to the horn--the woofers run full-range.

4. Jazz Cat

Jazz Cat

Mar 31, 2009
    Chesapeake, VA
    Thanks for the input. I did get series and parallel backwards, but you did understand what I meant.

With regards to the comment related to less overall perceived volume, why would that be? Although my primary goal is to address the over-excersion, are the Eden speakers really that high of a rating for sensitivity? I know and understand that the response curves will be different, but I would think that the power output would be roughly the same.

This leads me to the next question: would the amp work more efficiently on a 4 ohm nominal load with two 8 ohm speakers in parallel or on a 2 ohm load as with two 4 ohm drivers wired in parallel? Or for that matter, two 4 ohm drivers wired series for 8 ohms? I would guess that regardless of load/resistance, the lower ohm load would have more headroom, but would be more susceptible to varying power we often see, leading to square waves. Perhaps the best choice is to wire for 4 ohms?

I'm just a little confused here. What are the tradeoffs for each option?

5. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    The Eden 10s are as loud as any I've ever heard due to their heavy midrange emphasis, which our ears hear very well. They make a lot of noise with fewer watts than speakers that are voiced more neutrally, which is just about any other speaker. So you can easily lose perceived volume if you substitute more neutral speakers, including speakers that have more excursion and produce or handle more deep bass. Doubling or tripling the wattage from the amplifier barely increases volume compared to adding more speakers. (Check out the stickies for more about this.)

I understand that your issue isn't about volume, it's the loss of "something" when using a high pass filter. The Eden preamp already rolls off the extreme low end, I believe about 24 decibels per octave starting at around 35 Hz. I don't have any experience with a double bass so I don't have a better suggestion for you, only to proceed with caution if you're swapping speakers since they're expensive and you're gambling whether new speakers will help. Good luck, Bob

6. Jazz Cat

Jazz Cat

Mar 31, 2009
    Chesapeake, VA
    Thanks for the clarity and that makes sense. I have most of this heavy midrange dialed out of my rig and only add back in if I'm outdoors and competing with loud stage monitors or playing beside a keyboard player. What I end up with is a balanced tone without the harshness.

Thanks again. I'm still trying to determine if I want to outlay the cost or just build a couple cabs common designs.