Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Faith No More anybody?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Ive been more into the newer Mike Patton bands latly but reciently i have been busting out the old FNM albums. This is definitly an underated band, to bad they had that one stupid song "Epic" that most people only know them by, that song really sounds nothing like them. You can easily tell how many bands today ripp these guys off, espically of the Angel Dust album. Anyone else here famimiar with them?

2. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    one of the best concerts i ever went to was
    faith no more/metallica/guns n roses

why was it so good you ask?
    because after faith no more...i left

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I saw FNM with RCHP once, and I saw them again with Met/GnR as well.

Good stuff....good band. Kinda sad they are no more.

-Mike

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Great band! The real thing is a KILLER album..... and I'm a no metal kinda guy.

5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Are you sure it was RCHP, i always heard the Peppers used to dispise Mike Patton because in this other band Mr. Bungle, they used to dress up like the chili peppers and mock them on stage?

Mabey i heard wrong.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Misc.

7. AlexK

AlexK

Apr 10, 2001
    I love Faith No More. The Real Thing is an absolutely amazing album.

8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    The Real Thing had some great tunes, too bad Epic was the single.

But they had phenom tracks all over that one. and their later ones too. By contrast I'd say Introduce Yourself wasn't "matured" enough, but they still had most of the sound formed even when Chuck was the singer.

Who Cares A Lot is the greatest double-disc set I think I've ever bought, go get it right now!

I listened to Angel Dust in the car this morning, actually, I'm auditioning on Sunday with Kindergarten!

9. never got into FNM. i'm a bungle kinda guy. my best concert ever:
    melvins-bungle-primus, new years..... eons ago.

10. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002

i caught that tour, did you see them in orlando? we had a great spot, front and center. i stayed all the way through metallica, but gnr had nothing on my dehydration.

angel dust is one of my all time favorite albums, great stuff. my last band covered kindergarten.

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Surprised you don't like Epic. I'm trying to learn that song on bass right now. It has a killer bass line, especially the Cliff Burton style solo.

12. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I mean i like the song, it's just not there best song and sadly thats really the only song a lot of people know them by. A lot of songs on The Real Thing has killer bass lines, espically The Mourning After and who could forget Woodpecker from mars.

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    IME more people know Faith No More from their later stuff like their cover of "Easy". I think Epic is a pretty good representation of their sound at that time.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Angel Dust was their best album period. Anyone who argues otherwise is a fool.

Don't believe that Mr. Boyd from Incubus is a Patton wannabe? All you need to do is listen to the verse Smaller and Smaller. I swear, his singing style is completely based off this one song.

15. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan

That's funny, i have always tried telling all my friends who like Incubus that they are a ripp off of FNM, they don't believe me!

16. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    I gotta agree (except for the part about those who think otherwise being fools - to each his own ;) ).

That was one of those rare CD's that didn't leave my CD player for like 6 months - literally. And I'm not talkin' about a multi-disc player. I still dig 'Angel Dust' and 'King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime', even though my musical tastes have changed alot since then. I can't even listen to 'The Real Thing' anymore. Hate that whiny voice thing Patton used to do - thank God he doesn't anymore. The first Bungle disc and 'California' are both personal faves as well. I really like both Tomahawk discs, and Fantomas 'The Director's Cut'. Heck I like just about everything Patton does.

FNM at Janus Landing in Tampa on the KFADFFAL tour still ranks up there as one of my favorite shows, too.

17. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Incubus said the were influenced by Rhcp,Primus and Mr.Bungle but Iw ould say that Patton and Boyd are two totally different singers

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

That's because Fungus Amongous, they sounded like a rip off of everyone. Then on Science, they developed their own little style. Then on Make Youself, they totally destroyed that.

Faith No More on the other hand, every CD/song sounds different. So if you say that Incubus is a rip off of FNM, you have to play specific songs.

Ex. I heard so many people say System of a Down were huge FNM/Patton fans. But other than the singer making crazy random noises, I wasn't sensing heavy influence. Then I heard songs like Ugly in the Morning and Cuckoo for Caca off of King for a day and I was like... OK, I get it.

19. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    orlando it was! 11/2/92

also saw FNM open for billy idol in orlando 11/28/90
    where BI filmed some video, but i left for that too!

i've somehow blocked out one other show, where they performed with a terrible, terrible band...IMO. Somewhere between WPB and miami...89~90

20. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Also listin to the song "the gentle art of making enemies", everytime i play that song i just tell everyone is SOAD, they can't tell it's not them.