Faith No More(What bass did Billy Gould use on The Real Thing?)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ODDBALL, May 12, 2005.

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    What type of bass did he use on the epic Album? Sorry I forgot his name. :)
  2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    Awesome band, very under rated!

sorry, not sure what he played.
  3. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    His name is Bill Gould (IIRC) and he probably played an Aria bass.

keep groooovin'
  4. ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Wasn't Bill a Modulus guy?
  5. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    As I recall from the interview in Bass Player back in 90 or 91, he played an early Aria Integra until he snapped the neck off, then got another. Later switched to Zon. I'll see if I can dig up the issue for confirmation.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I helped you out by making the thread title more descriptive.

I am pretty sure he was touring with the aforementioned Aria back then, but I don't know what he may have used in the studio.
  7. tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    Billy Gould

William David Gould (born April 24, 1963 in Los Angeles, California) plays bass for the band Faith No More. He started playing the bass while he was at school with Faith No More's keyboard player Roddy Bottum. For most of Faith No More's life, he used a Zon bass guitar but started on an Aria bass guitar. He begun with Peavey amplificators then moved to Ampeg amplificators. He is now the CEO of Kool Arrow records. He sometimes plays with the Mexican band Brujeria. He is known for employing a wide variety of playing styles.
  8. ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    uh, Faith No More
    way up on my list of my all time fav. bands!

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
    love them - and nearly everything with Mike Patton involved

p.s.: yeah, in the later days of FNM he played Zon

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Thank you embellisher for the help. I really love this band. :bassist: That really sucks that they are underated. Well thanks for the info guys. :D
  10. Her's pics of the Aria and Zon.
    I believe the Aria was used on The Real Thing and Angel Dust, the Zon after that.
    He also played a Gibson ( Ripper? Grabber? G3? ) in the early days and used an old Jazz in the 'Evidence' Vid.
  11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I don't know what he played in the studio, but he used to endorse Aria basses. The series was called the Integra.

I remember Billy's quote: "I've played Aria basses for years and will never switch".

Anyone else remember that?:D
  12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've always been a big fan ... having grown up in the bay area during their heyday ... so I'm pretty sure me recollection here is accurate. There was a BP article back in the day ...

IIRC he played the Aria live and studio all the way through until "King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime", when he switched to a Zon sonus special 4 (actually a wierd special with a wide pickup in the neckward position). So on the real thing, it was the Aria. Personaly I think the king for a day sounds are better ... though he's always had a great grindy sound.

He always used Peavey amps, since he could drive them into distortion night after night and the never blew up. IIRC it was Mk4 and Mk6 heads with lots of black widow 115s and maybe a 410. In the article he talked about how all the other amps he tried were too clean and "anal" sounding.
  13. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    From the Jan/Feb '91 issue of Bass Player, he got is first Integra from Cliff Burton. It was a prototype for the line. He snapped the neck off on the last gig of a tour and glued it back together but retired it soon after for another Integra. He used a Peavey amp, a Mark II he thinks, with some direct mixed in.

I played an Integra once around that time and really liked it. When I retired my P-bass due to weight issues, I tried to find one but ended up with an Ibanez SR800. Played very similarly, but a bit differant tone. Still wouldn't mind finding one of the old ones.
  14. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I luv Billy. :bassist: I'm pretty positive he already used the Zon on Angel Dust, though, judging from the bass sound on that record. Doesn't he play a Zon in the "Midlife Crisis" video as well?
  15. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Amplificators...... that's some funny stuff right there :p
  16. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Actually, in some other languages, the term would be "amplificador" and it wouldn't be absurd for an ESL speaker to think "amplificator" was the proper English term. I'll wager tiefling has a german background.

Of course, you'd have to know more than one language to know that... :smug:
  17. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Not too sure about whoever wrote this being German, the common German term for amplifier is "Verstärker", which doesn't have any Latin roots. Amplification --> amplificator ... sounds logical to me. ;)
  18. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Yes, but the name of the member was "tiefling", and "tief" means "deep" in German, so I based the assumption on that.

Ich weis nicht alle fremden schprachenfehler einer Deutsher kann machen, aber ich habe eine ahnung!
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Billy Gould is such a big influence on me, he's another one of those bassists that started out flashy, then as his career went on starting doing more subdued/ultra groovy basslines. The bassline on King for a Day is so good.