Faith No More

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I go though many music phases and lately I have been in this Mike Patton phase. Recently I have been on a Faith No More binge. Though they are not for everyone, I still think they are one of the most original and influential bands in the last 25years. The Angel Dust album is one of my all time favorites.

One thing that erks me is all these new bands totally rip them off and no credit is given. Bands like Incubus, SOAD, etc. They seem to just take small parts of FNM's sound and copy it. Most of their fans don't even know who Faith No More or Mr. Bungle is. It's funny how things work out.
  2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Hey man, good to know you enjoy FNM and Mr. Bungle. If you want to hear some more Mike Patton stuff, I would suggest that you check out the "Irony Is A Dead Scene" EP by the Dillinger Escape Plan. It consists of four songs all with Mike Patton on vocals and is mind blowing. This disc gets my vote for best EP ever recorded. Happy listening.
  3. I have FNM's entire published catalouge.
  4. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    "We care a lot"
    "It's a dirty job but someones gotta do it"
  5. And of course there is always Nuclear Rabbit.
  6. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    +1 Excellent stuff!!
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I remember my sister playing "The Real Thing" ad nauseum back when I was 10. To this day it's still one of my favorite albums. "Angel Dust" is a good one as well. I'm not nearly as fond about some of their last albums though.
  8. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    It gets worse... Anyone remember Linkin Park? And their album "Hybrid Theory"?

There was nothing theoretical with what Linkin Park did... They merely ripped off FNM and had the audacity to name their first album implying they discovered the chocolate and peanut butter.

I'm done now. :ninja:

9. "The Real Thing" probably gets my vote for best album of the 1980s. I never get tired of it. The other albums are excellent as well, but that one stands head and shoulders above just about anything, ever. I really wish I'd been old enough to have seen them live; I saw Fantomas last year which was fun, though:)
  10. Don't see this myself, but then I've managed to avoid listening to Linkin Park since about the time that album came out.:D What would you say they stole from FNM? Just curious:)
  11. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I'll rephrase. Linkin Park implied(with album title) they were the band that introduced that sound to mainstream. It was FNM not Linkin Park.

But as Bad Brains said, it is funny how things work out.

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The FNM song "Midlife Crisis" remains one of my all time favorites. What amazes me is that the band could capture the intensity, confusion and frustration of a midlife crisis without having been anywhere nearly old enough to have experienced the event themselves.

I was priviledged to have seen the band perform live in Fort Lauderdale when Jim Martin was the guitarist and with the totally awesome Mike Patton.

What a great, innovative band.!!!

Say, did you folks know Courtney Love was a band member in one of FNM's earlier configurations?
  13. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I still listen to them a lot. Angel Dust is one of my favorite albums of all time. I wish they would get back together. I'd be really surprised if it ever happened though.
    What would be a good starter Mr Bungle album? I've only heard a few clips of some songs.
  14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Courtney Love?!?!? Wow, talk about left field!

Anyway, I had seen FNM two times, both were freaking awesome.
  15. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I'm going to get nailed for this, however, I don't see what the big fuss about Mike Patton is.

Yes, the guy is ultra-talented and awsome and has great bands and unique musical tastes. All in the same token of saying FNM wouldn't have been anything without Patton is silly. Patton wouldn't be Patton (well, there is a good chance anwyay) without FNM.

It was a band, there were 4 other guys. Besides being an underated bass player, Billy Gould was also a fantastic musician, songwriter and nuturer to the band by holding it together as long as they did.

That all said, I really enjoyed the last two albums best.
  16. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Mr. Bungle is kind of the opposite side of the spectrum, very bizzare band, not for everyone.

I would reccomend the California album over the other two. The first album is probably the most Bizzzare though.
  17. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Patton is kind of like Primus, you either love him or you hate him while still acknowledging his talent level.

For me, his vocal ability and range is just awsome. He can have a voice like butter and then quickly change to a death metalish growl and make it sound good.

And he's ALWAYS busy. He's always doing some sort of new project/band/album. Great selection of different styles to listen too. You could listen to two different projects and not even realize it's the same singer.

I sometimes wish he would concentrait on just one project, but he's a psyco. I since Tool released their last album, Mike Patton has put out about 10 different albums. That's a lot of music.

18. Actually , Patton was Patton way before FNM. He was doing Bungle while in High School and Bungle has always been Out there.

I love Patton, but Suspended Animation and the Executioners albums suck.

Fantomas is great, but I just don't like SA.

Tomahawk didn't do much for me either, it's..............alright.
  19. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    FNM is awesome and Bill Gould is an extremely cool guy. Saved my skin once, he did!
  20. kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    FNM was the s*** back in their day. They probably still would be if they were still around.