"Fake bridging"(?) poweramp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zanthrax, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Hi there!

My friend, who is a guitarist, wonders if it's possible to run a poweramp in some sort of faked bridge mode. The idea is to connect both channels in som sort of, either series or parallel connection to the speaker. Is this possible? Or should I just rewire his cab to stereo?
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    If the amp is designed to be bridged that is fine, but if not, don't try to invent some "fake" bridging. All you'll achieve is that nice smell of burning electronics... ;)

Rewiring the cabinet seems like a better idea, IMHO.

On the other hand, another aspect of your problem is "Do you really want your friend the guitarist to have more power?" :D
  3. Ok. In other words: I'll rewire the cabinet...

About my friend... He is actually rather sane, for a guitarsist that is! :D He's not all that fond of 50-100 watt heads (he thinks they are too loud) and has until recently been very happy with a 10 watt combo (Tech 21).
  4. I think those would be preamp channels, so he would only be driving his amp harder. Allot of guitarists like to run both channels to drive the power amp section harder giving that warm tube sound. They usually only do this with tube amps.

-link both channels together via parrallel outputs.

If one channel has 2 inputs in parrallel, then plug into one from the guitar, and run another cable from the other input out and into the second chanels input.

I think this might get your guitarist a fatter tone if this wasn't already what he was talking about doing.:)
  5. No its not a preamp... Marshall 8008 is a poweramp...