1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fake Chinese copies, are we next.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yamaha, Oct 16, 2009.

1. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    As of yet, I haven't seen any basses, but....

Ive seen quite a few guitars, especially Gibson copies. I've seen and played quite a few fake Les Pauls, and one amazing 1275 double neck SG guitar (Think Jimmy Page on Stairway to heaven). And I've seen these sold for 300.00$, and some for 1200.00$, though they all apparently are worth around 300.00$. Don't get me wrong, the copies are pretty good quality. The double neck guitar I mentioned was bought by a friend of mine for under 300.00$. It looks authentic, sounds pretty good (didn't a-b it to a real one), and on very close inspection, did not reveal any problems, or even signs that it's not a real one. There is more lacquer binding on the guitar than you'd expect on a 2800$ Gibson version, but, Epiphone also has a lot of this lacquer binding on many of their instruments, compared to USA gibsons.

I consider myself a bit of a gear nut, but not a pro. If I can't easely tell if its real or not, how can others. Hope we aren't next.

2. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I started playing in the late 70's. There were asian copies of American instruments available back then. Some were decent. Some not.

3. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Do you mean Chinese made instruments labeled with Gibson logos, etc? Or Chinese copies of a Gibson or Fender style instrument?

The first is not proper and generally illegal the second is something you would have had to be under a rock for the last 40years not to notice. And this would have to be your first time here as well. many of us have several Asian made "copies" of name brand instruments.

There are many Chinese, hell Pacific Rim Country of origin made basses and there have been for decades. And esecially lately, many are very good in terms of quality, sound, playability and low price. Some, well....

4. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Oh, when I say copies, I mean they are trying to pass themselves as originals, with original logos, truss rod covers, etc....

I have no problem with company ''A'' producing a copy of a Fender Jazz, as long as they don't pass them off as Fenders. Take G&L and Tribute, who share the same hardware and electronics. A finely produced Tribute could probably pass as a G&L to many. Taking the Tribute logo away and putting in the G&L usa does not make it an original us G&L.

5. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I think he means illegal copies made with authentic looking logos. I've also seen a handful of Chinese built fake LesPauls (with Gibson logo, stamped serial etc), but no fake Fenders (that I know of). I don't imagine there will be much faking of lower-recognition guitars and basses, but I do expect to see fakes of some of the most popular basses. The early fake LPs are pretty easy to spot, but they're getting better all the time.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    What sucks for the U.S. companies is when those copies actually become preferred by the players.

:-0

7. I am sure its happening all the time. Sx with a MIM neck on it, warmoth neck with a fender decal on an SX body, etc. As to whether its companies that are doing it as opposed to scam artists on ebay etc, I doubt it. Those big companies spenda lot of time and energy protecting their name. Its really all they can protect.

8. Levin S

Levin S

Apr 21, 2007
    Charlotte N.C.
    I played a $300 Chineese PRS singlecut copy that was amazing. To the point where I am actually considering getting one for myself. I do however believe that it's pretty illegal lol since it was labeled as an actual American Paul Reed Smith guitar

9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    I saw a chinese web site full with "original" american fender jazz a precision basses selling for about 300 bucks. they had fender logos and all that stuff. horrible!:scowl:

10. DuffMac87

DuffMac87 Banned

Oct 10, 2009
    Industry , california
    Someone sold my buddy a MIM neck on a squier body , stuff like that happens often franken basses get put ogether by one person and fool alot of people.

As for illegal copies of fenders, with logos made by a big company i doubt it, but by back yard hobby builders yes for sure.

11. That is surprising, but if there is one good thign to be said about Fender's prices, it makes it easier to spot stuff like this. I'm more worrid about the guy who buys it then sells it as the real deal for absurd money, which is the main reason I hate this kind of thing.

12. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    If it's your goal in life to support criminal theft of property rights, then by all means buy illegal copies of somebody else's hard work.

13. Just remind me not to buy a used PRS from you :)

14. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    cold coors all the way!:cool:
    :D

15. You do mean real "Coors" don't you??

...not the Chinese version...:rollno:

16. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Funny this thread has popped up. I just got back from Hong Kong the other day. Went to a huge trade show there. It really was not a music show, but there was one vendor there showing some guitars and basses. I tried one of the Fender Jazz clones and what a piece of crap. They had some others that were similar to some of the basses Brice makes, and they too were absolute garbage.

But to be fair to the Chinese, I've played some basses from China that were killer too!

17. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Wow, I did a somewhat extensive google search on this and found out quite a few things.

Chinese sites are openly selling guitars, and other instruments, at about 1/10 th of the cost of an original one, often selling them by the dozen. They are selling them as ''real us made models'' but are Chinese fakes.

Other gear, such as stage lighting (Elation, Martin, Chauvet), that is manufactured in china by US companies, are also being sold by the factory, (from what I understand) at 1/3 of the price of the name brand versions.

18. Yikes.... things are starting to get too weird when it comes to buying musical instruments. That's why I'll never buy a "sight unseen" bass/guitar. Even when I do play one I intend to buy, it gets partially disassembled and closely examined (e.g.) pots, caps, wiring, neck stamps and 'QA' stickers with dates on them. Seems to be working for me so far.

19. Chinese counterfeiting has infested basically every industry. In addition to bass, I'm also into golf. A high end driver can run $300-400 and a set of irons $600-1000. Its really easy to find off-the-wall websites selling near-exact replicas for 50-75% less. The price is clearly a red-flag.
    HOWEVER, some of these clubs are in fact, authentic- sort of. Since companies like Titleist and Nike have out-sourced manufacturing to China, some of these contracted factories will fill an order of (say) 100,000 pieces. Once their order is filled, the factory will then produce another 10,000 unauthorized pieces to be sold on the black market for 50% of retail. Since Titleist/Nike doesn't own the factory(ies) that builds their products, they have very few means to prevent this.

I'd imagine the guitar industry faces the same challenge. The bright side (for lack of a better term) is, that a counterfeit product might actually be authentic, albeit unauthorized.

Many golf stores commonly get scammed via false refund. Customer buys $300 golf club from authorized dealer. Customer also buys $100 counterfeit club from shady website. Customer then returns the $100 club for a $300 refund. Customer than uses product OR sells brand new, authentic product on Ebay for $225. That said, its highly possible that the counterfeit club might get unintentionally sold, by an authorized dealer, to an unsuspecting customer. Nothing is 100% safe anymore.

20. Exactly...how "fake" is "fake" when the product is produced in the same factory, to the same specs, as the original? Today, all many of us pay for is a name, when we buy products made in a generic factory in the far east. The manufacturers set themselves up for this, shutting down production, closing factories, unemploying their own craftsmen, and having their products produced by the lowest bidder. There is only so much control over that lowest bidder, and your decision can come back to bite you...square in you wallet.

That said, Gibsons are still Gibsons (but not Epiphone!) and Ric is still Ric. MIA 100%. Everyone else (who succumbed to the $$$ pressure to "outsource") well, your supplier can also become your competitor...