Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fake Fodera listing on Ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 5, 2005.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    :scowl:

So someone has recreated last week's auction for the daughter who needed open heart surgery. It's here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Fodera-5-string...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    The original is here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/INCREDIBLE-Fode...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Same pictures (slightly smaller because they're copied)...only the daughter's name is changed. :scowl: And bidder's IDs are private so I can't warn them...how do you complain to Ebay to get an auction closed? If you know, go ahead and do it!

Thanks,
    Marshall

2. That is absolutely awful.

What a bastard.

3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  4. Done. What a bunch of crap. It's even worse with the attempt to play on people's emotions.

5. I myself don't ebay and that is exactly why. It is sickening to see that. Anyway i noticed an ask seller a question at the bottom. And how the real one had them posted. I don't know if it automatically posts the q & a.

But if so maybe someone here with an ebay account could ask why it is the same bass and the same pictures. As the orginal and real auction.

With a link in the post. Then if it posts them automatically. All potential bidders will know it is a farse.

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Good idea, but unfortunately the member running the auction decides whether or not the question is posted on the auction page.

7. Will do once I get home

8. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
  9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    that is horrible!

Wow I would love a Fodera... nevermind one with Lane Poors!!!

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Has anyone called Fodera? I don't have a relationship with those guys so I wouldn't want to bug them (and I really don't have the time right now).

:)

11. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    Thats just sick!

12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Done! This guy needs to be beaten!

13. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    The auction has been pulled. Good Catch! ;)

14. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Saw it before it was pulled, it makes me sick, well played TB on getting it pulled though.

15. That's as bad as bidding on a bass that turns out to be stolen - I'm glad the rightful owner has it back now!!

16. lowlife6

lowlife6

Oct 6, 2002
    Minden, NV
    Hi, I'm the guy who won that Fodera, in the real auction that ended earlier this week. I had a bit of a panic attack when I read about the fake auction page on TB because I've actually been scammed out of $1400 about 2 years ago (case of ebay identity theft) and the situation is quite similar back then.

But the seller (really nice guy) has shipped and everything should be fine. This dumb-ass scammer didn't even bother to alter the description.But I'm impressed on how fast the TB community pick up these kind of news. Thanks

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes this is exactly why I don't like eBay as well!!

So you know that if somebody did something as immoral or reprehensible as this "in real life" - there would be a huge disincentive, as friends, neighbours etc. would know about it and you would become a social outcast or worse!! :meh:

Whereas eBay allows people to get away with this kind of thing safe in their anonymity - OK that auction was stopped as people know a lot about rare basses - but there's nothing to stop that person setting up another anonymous account and doing something similar with another email address or another PC...:mad:

18. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Oh my god , I heard alot about the frauds on Ebay but it's the first time i witness this kind of thing for myself.

smperry BRAVO!!!!!!
    http://www.[malware url removed].com/smilies/sign/sign0098.gif

19. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    KUDOS To all who helped!! This kind of slimy **** on e-bay needs to be delt with 100%. Thankfully it was noticed and we pitched in to at least save someone alot of money

20. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    That scammer suck!! :mad: It is absolutely horrible to use people sympathy on such issues, but I'm happy to see the power of our Bass community!