1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fake Hot-Rodded P-Bass on the 'Bay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jamzcl, Jan 18, 2012.

1. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    As an owner of one of these, this one just doesn't look right.

Genuine Fender Precision Bass | eBay

Tuners look wrong
    Back of neck has skunk stripe
    Body doesn't have string-thru
    Logo wrong & without Made in USA
    Knobs are dome instead of barrel

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The lack of string-through ferrules is pretty significant, especially since they're mentioned on that decal. I bet the pickguard is the only part that came from the model of bass named.

3. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    Fender axes always have a piece of black plastic (mexi) or Wood (american) and the insert of the truss rod hole i beleive so you may be right!

isn't truss rod access at the other end on american basses?

4. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    They also claim it to be ash. White should have been alder with only the natural & sunset orange transparent being ash.

5. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I think maybe only the sticker is the only real thing - the pickguard should have the slot for the truss rod adjustment.

6. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy

Dec 20, 2011
    Fake. I have two of them.

7. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy

Dec 20, 2011
    The pickguard on the olympic white was tortoise shell so even the pickguard is wrong.

8. Every aspect of that bass is incorrect , the logo is nothing like that it has the spagetti logo on the real ones , the truss adjustment is wrong , no string through, the bridge is weird looking , its totally fake and sad to see people try to pass that stuff off.

I had one and it was way more beautiful then that clunker.

9. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I don't think the font is right for "Precision Bass" either.

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yea, the decal is weird, the tuners are, "undersized" and "overseas" looking. It almost looks like a MIK neck, although those are actually pretty dang good.

11. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    i believe the pickguard was tortoise shell on all of them. i have a black one with a r/w board and it's my baby.

12. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Agreed. It's definitely not MIA. Looks like an older Affinity headstock. I think we'd have a shorter list if we started looking for things that COULD be from a Hot Rod P.

13. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    the sticker and the straplocks.

side note
    found the fender spec sheet and it was only available with a tort guard.

here
    http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/bass_guitars/019-4800_02A_SISD.pdf

14. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I reported it to eBay as being fraudulent and hopefully it will get pulled or the description gets updated.

It doesn't look like a "bad" bass but it's definately not what they claim it to be.

15. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy

Dec 20, 2011
    Did anyone notice that there have been an unusually large number of hot rods on eBay just recently? And the purchase prices have been around 700+? This is one model that is holding a high resale value, despite numerous (old) TB threads saying this bass will never be worth anything on the resale market. Just goes to show you....

16. If that were bass any faker, Pamela Anderson would buy two and nail them to her chest

17. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    If they have to put "Genuine" in the auction title, they are up to something.

18. In that case many here would be happy to play a fake!!!

:hyper:

19. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I used to own one and have played many others and there's so much wrong with this. Reported.

20. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo