"fake" Lakland necks on Ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basspraiser, Oct 27, 2011.

1. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Mods....please move this if I have posted in the wrong forum...

There is a seller on Ebay (in Malaysia) who is supposedly selling "new" bass necks.

Brian from Lakland says the Skyline Lakland necks are not legit necks and the company is taking action to stop the seller....

just did not want someone to get burned!

peace:

Doug

2. oh, that's just peachy...

the single greatest thing about a Lakland bass IMO (and admittedly, there are a lot of great things about them) IS that beautiful neck.

i hope they get the guy stopped before people buy them and get disillusioned with Lakland.

davesignatureII.gif

3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    What would a bunch of consecutive SN American made necks be doing in Malaysia... hah!

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  5. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    so , is an employee sneaking some stuff and running his own business?

6. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I was wondering if that is what he was implying as well but was unsure. They sure look accurate and if they were going to fake necks wouldn't it make more sense to fake a Fender style neck? More people look for those and Lakland necks aren't compatible with Fender bodies.

7. usurperbass

usurperbass

May 1, 2009
    Hudson Valley,NY
    ebay seller bassrocker32,bassist/guitarist for Glory Bound & sessions
    Chances are that they are knockoffs, Are the fake ones going for alot of money? Are they at least decent necks?

8. usurperbass

usurperbass

May 1, 2009
    Hudson Valley,NY
    ebay seller bassrocker32,bassist/guitarist for Glory Bound & sessions
    I just looked it up, he is selling them for 140 bucks, thats about twenty dollars less than a what a Carvin bass neck would cost you. I been buying and selling on Ebay for about 5 years, my rule of thumb with Ebay is if it seems questionable, see what info you can get from the seller and if it still seems fishy, report it to Ebay, they are pretty good about taking care of fraud.

9. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    The proverbial "fell off the back of a truck" stock, more likely.

10. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    they even say "original made in indonesia" in the listing...???????

11. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    the headstock clearly says Skyline Series so shouldn't be any American made confusion

12. They look pretty legit to me... Even the inlays are the correct size. I suspect they are real but stolen possibly from the factory?

13. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    sure seems that way - who would go to the effort to fake a (outside of the TB/forum/pro world) relatively unknown brand like Lakland Skyline - likely stuff going out the back door or seconds....when Epiphones were still made in Korea you could find them for sale all over Nakwon Arcade despite the fact that there wasn't an authorized dealer in the country - also you could find certain Skylines and G&L Tributes not from authorized dealers - seems like a similar situation...just more public.

I would be they are real, just not authorized

14. Exactly. Who would counterfit an Indonesian Skyline neck? While they are great necks, if I was going to counterfeit I'd go for a better known American manufacturer.

15. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    more details...these are "real" just not authorized.....they are from someone absconding with them from the factory....

either way....the seller is not selling authorized goods.....

16. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    Yes, but unauthorized goods poses a different moral dilemma on then buyers than faked goods.

17. beatdatthang

beatdatthang

Aug 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    I just try to avoid buying anything from asia (or pretty much anything overseas) online. Best case, it's a knock off. Worst case, you never receive your item and your money is lost and then what do you do? Report them? If you're lucky you might get your money back after some time. Usually, they just close up that user name and sell under another.

18. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    This is on eBay, and if you're paying with PayPal you get the usual buyer protection. You make a lot of claims of "best case" "if you are lucky" and "usually", how many times have you been ripped off to observe this trend?

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021