Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fake Music Man or Squier Pbass special?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by icks, Dec 28, 2001.

1. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I'm a punk player, i already have two bass very nice and i'd like to purchase a new one which I will be able to customise ...
    Stickers and so on and i don't want to do that to my so nice j bass so I choose those two model because they are cheap (about $230) and good looking..

Does anyone can help me ?
    Which one between the OLP MusicMan and the Squier Pbass special is the most confortable to play and have the nice sound for punk?

Thanks you guys... :D

2. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Here is the p bass
    I like the Jbass neck i like it ... i don't know about the olp so help me ....

3. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Hhhhooooo f**k
    it's the wrong picture!!
    Here is trhe good one...

P bass special by squier .

4. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    olp

5. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    I've played the OLP and I thought it felt like pine wood and I wasn't really impressed with the workmanship on the neck. Yeah, I know, it's cheap, but the Squier felt like a P bass, in weight and feel, and didn't sound bad either.

But with a P bass comes the P bas neck, so it's still you're call.
    BTW, you can get them for less than $200.00 too!

Tim

6. "Fake Music Man or Squier Pbass special?"

Ain't Squire a FAKE Fender?

7. I say get the squire.
    easily upgradeable.

I gotta stingray... believe me...you don't wanna play no imitation. Stingray is da sh!t.

The squire would do you best until you can get the real Stingray... your beast!

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Squier is owned by Fender. Ernie Ball has no connection with the company that markets OLPs.

Geez, why can't anybody spell Squier right? Is it really that hard?

9. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    for punk...deffinitly go for the p-bass. squier really isnt that bad, it was my first bass, and i liked it! i upgraded my pickups to '62 fender reissues. its rips man. i still dont think olp is up to squier's par, even though it is a liscensed copy of stingray. ive never hear a stingray used for punk anyway.

10. "Geez, why can't anybody spell Squier right? Is it really that hard?"

I did spell it right in the first place! About Squier: although Fender owns Squire, to me a Squire bass still remains a "fake" Fender.

11. Yes, but can you spell it right consistantly?
    :D

It can't be a fake Fender when it has Fender written right on the headstock. Right there in nice bold letters, Squier, by Fender.

I'd buy the Squier special. P/J basses are more versatile than the P alone. And as was stated previously, OLP is not endorsed by Ernie Ball, meaning the quality control is an unknown factor. Squier is endorsed by Fender, so the quality control has certain Fender standards to meet, albeit they are lower than Mexican and American Fenders.

The Squier Special runs less than $200, and the OLP runs around $240. The Squier would be a better bass, IMO, but it really all depends on what type of tone you want.

12. SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER
    SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER
    SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER

:p

13. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    has anybody actually played both of these? I'm looking for a cheap backup bass and i've been wondering the same thing, although the kingston's probably gona win.

14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I own both. The Squier may be easier/cheaper to upgrade, but if I was looking for a box-stock beater Bass, Id get the OLP.

Just my $.02

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    How 'bout getting a used one? I'm sure there are loads of MIM P's around for under $300. If you are going to put stickers on it, it doesen't matter if it's beat to crap :D

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'll second that one.

MIM Ps...something I still occasionally GAS for every once in a while for a few minutes, y'know, as a beater bass...

17. Squiers are definately easier to upgrade, and good if you want a crappy street punk sound. Otherwise, I'd take the OLP.

Still, its best if you get a chance to play either, take it.

18. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I say a Squier J-bass! If not the J, I would say the P special.

19. I just bought an OLP and I like it. With both volume controls up it sounds a *lot* like a Stingray with the switch set on "parallel". With one volume turned down it has a unique sound that isn't J, P, Stingray, or anything else.

The fit and finish was great, and it even came with decent strings. But it was set up very poorly: the bottom few frets buzzed horribly due to back-bow in the neck and the intonation was off, even worse than it normally is on cheap basses.

Fixing this revealed that the frets were nicely leveled. It plays wonderfully and feels like a much higher quality instrument than the $250 I paid.

Really it depends on the sound you want...do you want a P-like sound or do you want a Stingray-like sound?

20. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    The Squier P-Bass Special is very versatile. The neck is a J, so it’s real easy to play, and the balance is like one expects a P-Bass to be. The build quality is generally excellent. The tuners are OK and should be good enough for a few years at least. The pups are the weak point on all low-end basses, including the new MIM Stds, but both the pups and the electronics can be easily upgraded at any time for less than US$100.

Because of the unique qualities of the P-Bass Special, there is no obvious used alternative. Cheaper new alternatives include the Squier MB-4 and equivalent Ibanez SR-200 – both better options than the OLP, IMO.

If a J neck and a J pup are not required then a used MIM Fender P would be the way to go, but of course it’s not as versatile.

The OLP “Stingray” is nothing like a MM Stingray IMO. I can’t recommend anything about this bass. If you want a MM-style, but passive, bass, maybe look for a used MTD Kingston 4.