1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fake performances at the olympics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by joebar, Aug 12, 2012.

1. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    yes some people actually sang
    yes i know it is nothing new
    but is embarassing for me to watch for their sakes.
    and yet people know it but they applaud anyways.
    i have to expalin to my teenaged daughter that they aren`t really singing and she doesn`t grasp it.
    things have come a long way;just over twenty years ago a certain group was headline news for being fraudulent in this very way and was ostracized for it; now everybody does it and it is the norm.
    if the athletes were merely holograms supposedly performing the sports i do not think that would go over very well;:confused:
    it is no wonder hosting an olympics is so expensive; they could save a lot of money just by popping in a CD and put cardboard cutouts of the performers on stage-at that distance nobody could tell the difference:bag:...
    if i was asked to mime the whole performance, i don`t think i could do it.
    i guess i will never get the point.
    just sayin...
    YMMV, IMO...

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Well, the difference is they are lip syncing their own songs. Milli Vanilli was faking songs by a whole other band. Even so auto tune does the studio work for most of these so called artists now days. So a real live performance would probably be pretty awful.

3. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    yes that is true too
    i hear ya

4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I worked the 2010 opening ceremonies in Vancouver. During rehearsals I talked to Ashley MacIsaac out having a smoke on several occasions he said he was given the choice to do it live or play to his own track. He's more than experienced and talented enough to have pulled it off live but opted to play to tracks because he didn't want to have to worry about breaking a string and wrecking the performance on live TV in front of millions of viewers. I totally got that and didn't think any less of him for it. It's not like you can come back and make up for it in the second set.

5. I watched most of the closing ceremonies, and I would hazard a guess that (from what I saw) wassername J probably synced the driving around bit as well as the Spice Girls. Eric Idle's bit looked good, as he didn't travel far, as well as Muse's segment. I didn't care for (I hate to say) wassername J singing Freddies part. It was a let down, and missing John Deacon, it's not Queen. (Although having the vid of Freddie was a nice touch.)
    The Who has a good reason for having subs. I thought they were pretty good, considering.
    Over all, it was a good show, IMO. Better than some, not as good as others I've seen.

Oh, one more thing. As far as playing live, screwing up and not being perfect goes, it shows we are human after all. I know it's mostly the sponsors who want (demand) perfection, as they don't want to be associated with a mistake, but we are just people. Shnitz happens.

6. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    ironic because i thought muse was the most obvious of the synchers...
    as for daltrey, he was pretty good and one of the few that actually sang

7. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    John Lennon lip synced

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    When?

9. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    :bag::bag: it was a joke.

10. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I think it would be better to have a string break, and play through it, than to fake it for the whole world to see.

11. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Talk is cheap. When you're actually confronted with that choice lemme know.

12. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I thought it was a generally poor show - syncing and all. It seems totally unorganized and fragmented. It was like "Let's how much different stuff we can throw on the field".

As far as syncing - with all the different performers it would have been a nightmare to keep all the wireless mics managed properly - maybe impossible.

13. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    The only lip sync that I noticed being out of sync was Annie Lennox. There was a shot of her walking the 'runway' after she got off the boat where she wasn't lipping at all and the vocal continued to play.

All in all, it was a well produced show, although maybe a bit out of touch with some demographics

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Why ruin it for your daughter?

She'll be cynical soon enough. :(

15. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I dug the Annie Lennox tune...I think she was lip sync'ing, but I don't care...she's just cool...

16. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Did you see how many wireless IEMs were on that field? No doubt they had a whole team of RF wranglers, and yes I'm sure it was a nightmare, but you don't hire amateurs to do a live telecast with 80 million people watching. They would've made the mics work just fine.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree 100%.
    IIRC, Prince broke a string during his 2007(?) Super Bowl appearance...no big deal, he got through it.

18. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    So I don't have the right to my opinion that a professional musician should maybe be a musician and play music. Anyone can be made to sound good in a studio, its how you sound live that makes you great. Faking a performance is cowardly IMO

19. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Prince is a real musician with integrity, something that seems to be lost on todays "music" business.

20. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Breaking a string is not an insurmountable obstacle. Why make a big deal about all the things that could go wrong, anyway?