Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fakebooks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NAF1138, Jun 26, 2001.

1. NAF1138

NAF1138

Jun 19, 2001
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Does anyone know if there are any good fakebooks for bass. A nice blues or Jazz one would be great. People are always talking about reading tab or standard or learning by ear, but I haven't seen anything about fake books. Do they make them for the bass? I haven't really looked yet, thought I would save some time and ask here first.

Nick

2. Fakebooks?

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, there has actually been quite a lot of discussion about this. I tend to use the Sher Real Book and "Latin Real Book" quite a lot. But I use the C versions and don't really bother with Bass clef versions - although I have picked up a few book/Cd combinations of Jazz "heads" in bass clef. Mostly, I'm improvising from the chords so a C version is fine.

Here's a link to a "Real Book" on-line :

http://www.multimania.com/realbookonline/real-book.htm

Although the text is in French, you can use all the music and print stuff out.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    please don't confuse the Sher Music "New Real Books" with 'the real books'. Sher real books are more accurate, and legal. The real book is illegal,underground, inaccurate and what everybody uses.

6. The "real" fake-books (or are they the fake "real-books") can be obtained at:

http://www.juniorsmusic.net/Merchan...=CTGY&Store_Code=JMI&Category_Code=Fake+Books

The fake "fake-books" and the real "real-books"...

The party hereinafter called "the party of the first part", shall be called "the party of the first part".

The party hereinafter called "the party of the second part", shall be called "the party of the second part"...

...The party hereinafter called "the party of the eleventh part", shall be called "the party of the eleventh part"...

;>

- Wil

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I hurt. :confused: :)

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I should have been a little more clear (although, I did provide a link direct to Sher)...

Sher Music has The New Real Books, volumes I, II, & III, plus many other Jazz and Latin books.

9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I would you recommend you get the bass clef version of "The New Real Book" by Chuck Sher, that way you play the melodies as well as work with the chords. I believe only the 3rd version is in bass clef.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    is there a bass clef version of that book? Man, it'd be sweet if there was one, I'd love to have one.....

11. DOes DeM FakE REEuL BoOKz HavE TAbS?

12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Book III is available in bass clef.

13. NAF1138

NAF1138

Jun 19, 2001
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Thanks for the info and the link guys, I do apreciate it. Sorry about posting a thred that had been done already, still new and didn't bother to search it out this time. Will know better for the future. Thanks again.