Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fakebooks

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bcarll, Feb 14, 2002.

1. bcarll

bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Are fakebooks really helpful to a bass player and what do they contain. Have also seen some listed that give an option to the key you would like it in. C--Bb--Eb. and----- some list they are available for piano,trombone,trumpet,clarinet and other instruments. If a bass player was going to purchase a fake book what would be the best choice for him if jazz was his venue. Are there fakebooks for bass only?
    Didn't quite know where this thread fit so if it needs to be moved I'll understand.

bcarll

2. Get the regular ones for "C" instruments - this will force you to read the treble (G) clef (which is A GOOD THING) and is more versatile than the bass version, which has the same melodies transposed down an octave, but useless to anyone who isn't familiar with the bass (F) clef. The chords are written in both versions, so my comments are for those who want to play the toons...

- Wil

PS: The "Eb" & "Bb" versions are for transposing instruments in those keys, and would be about as useful to a bass-player, as a "one-legged man at an arse-kicking contest" ;>

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well as a Jazz bass player, over 90% of the time you are going to be expected to improvise walking or other lines, fromteh chord charts. You are very rarely given a written bass line and most "fake books" will just be the tune plus chords.

I think they are extremely useful for anyone playing Jazz, not just bass players - but the more tunes you know the better. So get as many as you can and start practising making up lines to as many "standards" as you can - this is what it's all about as a Jazz bass player.