"Faking It"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Dec 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

From the New York Daily News:

Author who claims 9/11 attack was faked coming to NYC

A French author who suggests that the Sept. 11 attacks were concocted by a faction of the U.S. military is planning to promote his book on a tour that will begin in New York City.
    The English title of Thierry Meyssan’s book is “9-11, The Big Lie,” which also suggests that the Pentagon was hit by an American missile, and not American Airlines Flight 77. USA Books, a subsidiary of the book’s French publisher, says he could launch the tour as early as this month.

The dates have not been finalized yet, according to Asad Lalljee, of USA Books, but the publicity blitz is likely to include interviews with several major television news shows that have expressed interest. The tour also may include speaking engagements, Lalljee said.

The French press ridiculed the book, but it became a best seller in France for three months. The English version has not seen the same success on the best seller lists, but Lalljee said 5,000 copies have sold “without any marketing” in the past six weeks since it was made available.

“We do anticipate great demand,” Lalljee said.

In the book, Meyssan suggests that the attacks were schemed in order to promote a U.S. military agenda that included waging war in Afghanistan.

When asked what did happen to Flight 77 and the 59 passengers and crew aboard, he says it’s “one of the questions I don’t have a response for.” But he says that the shape of the gash in the Pentagon, where 125 people were killed, is not consistent with an airliner.

In a book refuting Meyssan’s theories, authors Guillaume Dasquie and Jean Guisnel said that some French “adore these cranks telling them that they are victims of plots, that the truth is being hidden from them, that one must not accept the official version.”

The U.S. Defense Department has called the allegations in the book “more than insulting.”

Lt. Col. Ken McClellan, a Defense Department spokesman, said Monday he was “appalled” that Meyssan is planning a U.S. visit.

“Certainly there’s a market for any sort of trivialization of history,” McClellan said. “That doesn’t make it less of a tragedy.”

Meyssan, an activist with his own left-wing association called the “Voltaire Network,” says he did not actually travel to the United States to investigate his theories, but had researchers working for him. He said much of his book is based on public documents, newspaper articles and the Internet.

Originally published on December 2, 2002
  2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I hope he opts for the bullet proof dome cover, unlike JFK did...

While I strongly disagree, he is entitled to his opinion:rolleyes:
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

We never went to the moon either. And the world is flat.
  4. Why would the Pentagon go to all that trouble when they could just pay some Islamic extremists to do it for them? Just because they're conspirasists doesn't mean they're stupid, or fiscally irresponsible.

Still, I forsee him becoming, potentially, a very rich man. Hell, people have gotten away with worse.
  5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

I just hate it when I fall off:D
  6. Yeah, really. A fiscally irresponsible government? :D
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

....a fiscally responsible Government.
  8. ...Because we have done loads of tests to determine exactly what it is supposed to look like.

I could be wrong, but my inclination is to think that this guy is a con artist looking for a quick buck, and I'm sure he'll succeed.
  9. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    well... thats is a shame.. he is intitled to his opinion.. but thats sad
  10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok EMBALMER WE KNOW!!! God,,, he's just GOT to rub our noses in it....freaking arogant Mod's.:D
  11. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    That's amazing! a big ploy? LMfAO!! I doubt the United States of America would sacrifice several thousand of their own citizens for an excuse to wage war on terrorism.

This guy's a looney,
  12. Socks

Socks Guest

I have a feeling this thread will close preety soon.....

He is entitled to his opinion, but it does sound something the American government would do.

Maybe the American government isn't governed by George Bush.

Maybe it's goverened by Steven Spielburg.
  13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You have to try and catch those big purple flowers that yodel on your way down, so you can take the escalator back up to Kansas. Of course, than you need to pay the green zebra's to drop you off at the the bus station, but they take rubles now so it's no big deal.
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And then the birds will come and put apples in your shirt. And you will turn into a glass of water. Ever wonder what it is like to be drunk?
  16. I will not say anything...I will not say anything...I will not say anything...I will not say anything...I will not say anything...

Countdown until this turns into a political argument, and is promptly shut down, begins NOW.

17. Did you also know that the Holocost(sp?) was faked because the Jews own 80% of the worlds wealth?

I really don't know why they would fake something like that just because they are rich, but, ya know..
  18. Whilst I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, I suddenly feel that his privelige to do so should be revoked.

Sadly, he will make a lot of money no doubt. I think he's very crass and sick to even suggest such a conspiracy.

Without travelling to the US, and only based on what I saw in the news, I believe that aircraft were used as man controlled missiles and were used suicidally to attack the WTC Towers (both) and also te Pentagon. I also believe that a fourth plane was prevented from recaching it's final target by the heroic actions of the crew and passengers.....Wait a minute, I think I should go and write this down, I think I have the beginnings of a book..........:rolleyes:

Seriously though, has this guy no sense of human decency? In the grand scheme of things, a lot of people are still mourning a loss that they can never understand, I think this guys book is in very bad taste and I think his publisher should have told him where to go in the first place. However, it appears human decency goes out the window when a quick buck can be made. I really think if he sets foot on US soil, he'd better watch his back real close......

19. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    What makes our country great is that someone can express an opinion like this, regardless how anyone feels about it. Just because we believe him completely deluded, it doesn't make his opinion any less valid.
    This opinion is very similar to the political opinion threads that got out of hand here a few weeks ago. If the media didn't report the story, none of us would even know, or care, that he was planning a US visit. Likewise, if none of us took the bait on provocative political threads, voila, no controversy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.