Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

falconry?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by punkfunkfreak, Nov 29, 2002.

1. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    I know its a bit of a long shot...but i was just wondering if any of you guys practice it atall.

For those not in the know falconry is hunting with/flying birds of prey.

My father has been a falconer all his life...and makes all his own equiptment (hoods, gloves, lures, cadges..e.t.c)...we often go out hunting together and i help him make some equipment to sell. (My father has a good reputation so a single hood can go for as much as £70 around here)
    We mainly fly falcons and in the off season we fly hawks...we also train the falcons to a kite about this time of year.

well...anyway...anyone else? (is expecting nil answers..lol)

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Don't be silly. Of course there's other falconers about! ;)

Seriously, my wife is a Master Falconer, and has been flying broadwings for the last twenty years. She doesn't fly at the moment for medical reasons, but she keeps her license current. I will start building a new mews at this house in the spring - we just moved.

She's always stuck to Red-tails, which are as common as dirt in the Central US. For a season, I was "flying" an male American Kestrel under her supervision, but I decided I needed another hobby like a hole in the head. I'll stick to brush beating for my wife (no jokes, please!).

She was one of the first female falconers in our state...

3. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Cool, a kestrel was one of my first birds, but it died from a heart failure when i was 12. (Please do not call the RSPCA...;))

We used to have a large female redtail. We used to fly it to hare and pheasant in a farm just outside london. We still use our dog (dino) for pointing and flushing the game, but hes like 12 now so hes getting a bit old for the fields.

anyway...yes.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I've never falconed, but it seems like a good time. Is a "mews" a big bird house?

5. You people fly birds? Must be pretty large birds.. what if you fell off??? [​IMG]

:D:D

Merls

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Has anyone tried using an ostrich for falconry? That might be interesting.

7. I know a few guys in the SCA who have a few birds, and I've always thought it would be a neat hobbie. Course, it's prohibitively expensive....

Rock on
    Eric

8. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    DAMN RIGHT!...lol.... We went to germany a year ago to a trade show, people were trading black gyr falcons for upwards of £12,000. I didnt see the attraction myself.:rolleyes:

Superduck, yeh, its a large (very large) aviary kept outside.

Merlin. :rolleyes: :p :D

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Which, of course, begs the question: Would it cost 12,000 pounds (I don't have a key for that) to go out into the wild, find three Gyr Falcon eggs, and raise them to maturity?

If the answer is no... :D

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It sure would.

11. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    A wild bird of this species is only worth about £200. The birds we saw at the fayre were captive bred to be pitch black in colour and of a certain temperament/weight. People (arabians especially) are prepared to pay the extra mullah for a bird that will "wait on" and fly on a certain weight with no problems...as well as be the most pure black example of its species.