Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fall Foliage Reports: How Are The Colors In Your Area?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Here in the NYC area, the leaves seem to be a couple of weeks behind schedule. Only the trees whose leaves turn bright red are underway, and all the others seem to have just started turning.

I heard a report on the radio this morning which said that because of a hot, dry summer and a very wet October, and the fact that the first frost didn't come until 10/28/05 the leaves are indeed turning late.

Check out this site: www.foliagenetwork.com/reports/northeast_us

So, how are the Autumn colors in your area?

Arrr, ladds & lasses, this is my favorite time of year! ;) :cool:

Mike

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

LI is very colorful Mike :)

3. I live at 6200 feet and Grand Mesa to the north me is 10,000 feet. The height of the Grand Mesa colors is usually the third or fourth week in September. At my elevation it is usually mid-October. The colors were wonderful as usual this fall, but last year was particularly superior. Unfortunately, we don't get the brillant reds of New England, but our golden aspens are stunning threading through the dark green spruce. Sometimes I miss Autumn in New England and Spring in Virginia and North Carolina.

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    The colors are wonderful this year. Bright reds everywhere, yellow, gold, orange.

I love fall.

5. Here in south Louisiana, we have two colors....green and dead. Right now, we are in the middle.

Mike

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Alot of the trees look like they are on fire with all the reds and oranges. I have a couple maple trees in my yard that look amazing in the early evening.

Like Joshua, I'll be out raking some of it up this weekend.

-Mike

7. Primarily golds, yellows and dark maroons outside the doors of my office.

8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The fall here is spectacular. As usual.

Unlike Joshua, I am not raking this year. Two years ago I figured out my lawnmowing guy just used blowers to blow it out into the bushes. Then in the spring when he mowed the lawn whatever was left got mulched up. Last year, I let the wind take care of that and in the spring whatever was left
    over got mowed up. :meh:

:meh: <- I officially dub this smiley 'Bruce'. :)

9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Amazing. It looks like the trees are on fire...i love it.

10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    What´s this fall you speak of?

Here in Iceland fall has come and gone and we have winter now.

Snow everywhere and damn cold.

It´s supposed to get just a little bit hotter in the next couple of days with some rain also...

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    They're purty... and all over my yard.

12. Southwest Ohio looks fantastic right now . . . and the sunrise's are awfully nice too!!!!!

[​IMG]

13. +1

It's nice right now in Nassau County. :D

14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here in South Florida, Hurricane Wilma has brought us roughly what I call a Nashville late November. Leaves blown off trees leaving bare limbs when that seldom happens in South Florida. Many limbs are broken; many trunks are split; many trees and bushes are just plain blown over and uprooted. Many palm trees ahve lost most of their fronds

The few leaves that remain are rust brown from wind burn and salt spray. It really does look like late November up north here, but Florida is usually lush tropical green all year long.

Much of Florida foilage is now piled high in huge mountains of dead vegetation. Every yard has its pile. Very depressing. I love trees and it saddens me to see how nature just swept through and relentlessly reaped havoc.

But the beauty part is that here, trees and bushes recover rapidly. By next spring we'll see lush foilage will be green again. But it will be different. People are no longer planting ficus trees which do not survive hurricanes. Ages old mango trees are gone forever. Many palm trees are gone, too.

15. crikker

crikker Yooper From Way Back Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    In Northern Michigan, fall is over. I've been burning fall all day. The leaves are down and we're waiting for snow. Should be soon. I'm in the race to burn the leaves before the snow hits. There were some very nice colors this year, as usual.

16. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    +1 no fancy colours for me.

17. Yeah, Wilmington is still in late summer mode. It looks nothing like fall around here, but it is finally cooling off some.

Speaking of nice sunrises, we have gotten some primo ones around here. Here's a sample.

Edit: The middle picture is my favorite.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Here in SE Mich, it is Fall Color it all it's glory. The weather has been mild with very little rain and the leaves have stayed with the trees a bit longer than usual.

One unfortunate situation here in MIch is the Emerald Ash Borer. An import bug of sorts that is decimating the many trees that dutch elm disease did not.

The authorities here are having little success in stopping the carnage. They're just choppin' 'em down.

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    It's spring coming on summer, douches :p

DMB; that's beautifull.. Wish I had sunrises like that :( What time you up in the morning to see that?

20. Crikker, you are bringing back pleasant memories: I love the smell of burning leaves in the fall, but if I'm not mistaken it's illegal to burn leaves (or anything else) here in NYC. :(

Mike ;)