Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Falling back in love with the 4 string(long)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by embellisher, Sep 10, 2003.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Over the past few weeks, I haven't been having as much fun playing my Cirrus 6 as I have in the past.

I have an important gig coming up this weekend, and it has been years since I played these songs on a 4 stringer. 2 of them were written on a 6, and make use of most of the range.

Tonight I was going over the songs, getting ready for our Thursday rehearsal, and it just wasn't happening for me.

I had been thinking about switching back to a 4 for the originals band for several weeks, and while I was drilling on my lines, I saw the Geddy Lee up on the wall, just begging to be played.

I thought 'Man, it will take at least a couple of weeks woodshedding to get these songs down on a 4, and I don't have time. We have a gig Saturday!'

But the bass wouldn't leave me alone. It kept calling out to me, asking to be a part of the fun.

So after running through all of the songs one time, I hung the Cirrus up and pulled down the Jazz.

Man!:D What a lot of fun! No worrying about muting all of the other strings, and while I slap pretty well on my Cirrus, I forgot what a great slapper the Jazz is!

So, the two songs that utilize the extended range needed some serious shedding, but I have them down now. The other songs were originally written on a 4 back in the early 90's, but I have been playing them on a 6 since 1996 or so.

I am going to leave my Cirrus at home Saturday, and take the Geddy Lee and my Hamer 12 string.

That bass is evil, I tell ya!:bassist:

2. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    I wish I had a Geddy Lee just lying around.

3. embellisher

Well, it's not always just laying around. But in my originals band, I have been playing 6 string on almost all of the songs since the late 90's, the only exception being the few songs that I play a 12 string on.

The Geddy gets some use in my oldies band, but it looks as if it will start getting a lot more use too.

We'll see how I feel in a couple of weeks.

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Funny, after using my Cirrus 6 as my main bass for the past couple of years, I too have been yearning for more time on the 4 string. I won't play it on songs requiring the extended range just to play the 4 though
    (shame on you, embellisher!:mad: ;) ).

But on to the real issue here...

...how cheap are you going to be letting that Tiger Eye 6 go for??? :eek: :D

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I knew you would come home to a 4 sooner or later Jeff, LOL,

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I hear you, man. I went through the same thing myself, and with a Jbass. And to an extent, I've all but given up on extended range basses. (but I've pretty much given up on electric instruments, too)

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Are you playing more upright these days, Jon?

Jeff: I think we all go through the "back to 4" phase after a while. There's some things about a 4 that just feels right.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Methinks Jeff needs a Cirrus 4! You think that Cirrus 6 slaps easy? Try the 4!

I have not ventured much into multistring land. I sold a cheap, used fiver I'd picked up, because I didn't like the sound, and told myself that I'd get myself a proper fiver - a nice Cirrus fiver. Yet my heart is GASing for a bubinga/walnut Cirrus 4.

Last night I got guilted into helping out a bandmate who hosts an open mic night. Another bassist showed up with a sixer, and after I stepped off stage once, some drunk says to me, "I think that 4 string sounds better than those six strings." Heh - from the mouths of babes, from the mouths of babes.

:)

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I feel that, Embellisher. I worked my way up to 8 strings (on a Stick, no less!), and one day just didn't want to do it anymore. Back to the 4 I went. I discovered that I was more creative and interesting on the 4, and that's where I have stayed for almost a year now. I don't plan on going back.

Well.... I am seriously thinking of buying a Warr.... but I guess that doesn't count.

10. embellisher

Not to worry, that Cirrus 6 ain't going nowhere!

I still like to mess around with it at home. Tapping, playing chords, pretending I am a jazz soloist, etc.:D

11. My main axe has always been a 4. I have a 5 and a 6, but I rarely use them - they just don't feel "right".

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    More than anything else - I'm in love with the thing! I'm not really taking gigs on electric these days, I really want to concentrate on learning the 'big girl'.

The Air Force keeps me playing electric enough, and I'm recording a CD with some guys in Atlanta that's got me playing 4, 5, fretless and upright. But upright is definitely where my head is.

13. Hey embellisher, I hear ya.

I've become frustrated with the fact that a 'decent' (by my definition) brand of strings, 4 string set, goes for $19.95 for a set. Same strings for a 5 - $29.95. For a sixer? Add another $10. :mad:

Not to mention the annoying number of 5 and six string instruments that have cramped string spacing...:meh: Grrr! Seems that 4 string basses have always had nice wide string spacing.