falling in and out of love

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Hey all you multiple bass owners.

Do you fall in and out of love with your basses. I seem to go about 4 months with each of them. Presetly all I want to play is my P-bass deluxe and not too long ago I hated that bass the most. My Warwick is collecting dust, I'm considering selling it, and not too long ago it was my favorite. I would only use my Music Man with The Nerve, and now the P-bass has been following me to gigs. I'm not even going to talk about the Dano's I have that were all I'd play at one time. Anybody wanna buy one?

Is it just me?
  2. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    No, t's not just you. I get bored with mine too. I'm constantly buying, selling, buying, selling. It never ends. I do it with amps, pedals, cabinets, strings everything. I don't know what my problem is. Just when I think I have the perfect set up, I find something to dislike about it and look somewhere else. I think this is how it wil alwalys be so I've just accepted that. The sooner you accept it, the eastier it is. :)
  3. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I get that, too. Sometimes I think of selling my five string so I have more money and maybe buy a fretless four in the future. But then I decide I want to keep it. Then I think about selling it again... then decide to keep it, ad infinitum ;)
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL

I do that frequently!
    The ones I have sold, I always end up missing.
    I'm just resigned to rotating the stock now. Keeps everbody happy.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The trick for me is to take a bass to a gig. It usually reminds me why I have it. Right now I'm down to "keepers".
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I dont fall out of love with my gear too quickly because I research all i can about it for at least 6 months prior to buying it. my hammer is the exception to the rule...It was my 1st 5 string and only cost $300 so i said yeah its got good tone...why not..my other basses are keepers.
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    No, not me. I'm a one bass kinda guy. ;)

Now back from the Twilight Zone, I'm exactly the same way. Do I wanna play a 4 string, a 5 string. Spector, Sadowsky, Warmoth, G&L? Do I wanna buy the Ibanez BTB405, Fender MIM DLX Active J, Schecter Model T, Pedulla, Zon, Modulus, etc.

I feel guilty when I don't use a bass for a while, Especially my USA Spector. I feel like I'm cheating on it or something. <i>I need help!!!</i>
  8. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I will take care of it for you Nino. Just send her to me she will have a great home :):D:p
  9. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I can somewhat, but its just like anything else in live, I suppose...feelings change based on one's mood. I loved my '62 Jazz reissue for years, which was purchased sight unseen, and still think its a great bass for the price I paid. When I stumbled across my '77 Jazz, which I bought as a back-up, I absolutely hated it. I hated the worn-out frets, the beat-up case, the ash body, the maple fretboard, the blocks, binding, and the gap in the treble side of the neck joint! However, once I finished school and had time to get out and play, I have somehow made it my main bass. I really like it now and rarely play my '62. I'm sure once I get one of those new Sadowsky ultra-vintage monsters the '77 will be on the shelf!
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that we all go through this from time to time.

The only bass that I've ever owned that I haven't fallen out of love with is my Zon.
  11. I just hope that we can do that to girlfriends/wife sometimes.....:) That was a joke. Maybe it's because most musicians are melancholy, and people who are melancholy have the tendency to be bored quickly at things....huh?

I've only sold 1 bass, that is a 5 string Vantage. It was CAD$350 new. Pretty nasty(bad) bass. When I buy a bass now, I spent lots of time doing research on it, so selling it later on would be out of the question. If I want a bass, I'll save enough money to get, if I don't have the dough, I'll wait instead of selling anything.
  12. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i've never fall in out of love with a bass {my yamaha, i hated to begin with (muttering, "roten peice of crap.")} I still love my P-bass, but it hasn't been that long. I still play it constantly, and haven't seen to get bored. When i get an other, i will still love my p-bass, and play it a lot. My P-bass is a keeper!!! I guess that makes me unusual, and my mom complains that i check out instruments and stuff at stores. "You already have a bass!!!"

I think it is actually worse to be completely satisfied with your gear. Think about it, if you were satisfied with your gear, there would be no journey left on the trail of buying and selling. If there was no journey left, there is no journey to live. How many of you get joy out of buying a new bass? Or selling some bass you think is some P.O.S. for a price you don't think it is worth?
  13. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    for sure i'm not the kind of guy who plays only one bass. i want an harem of basses!! and when i play i like a lot the option to choose a different bass each time. if i want to plat loud, or with a pick or different. every bass is good for something, if you want to go offroad you'll drive a jeep and not a ferrari. the same for basses!
  14. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I'm actually down to only 2 electrics, both Laklands. I've owned several before and I sold them at one time or another. Thought I knew exactly what I wanted at that point and ordered it new...a cherryburst 55-94 Deluxe. Well, then, I found a passive 55-63 Dual J model...got me back into my old love for passive simplicity. Now I have a very expensive 59-94 that I just don't really play much as a backup. To top if off, my electric gig have fallen off considerably, and I need to finance some upgrades on my upright.

Now I have a problem: which to sell? Laklands are great basses, but the market for them seems kind of soft right now. If I sell the one that's my favorite, I won't lose any money (I have it advertised for sale now). If I sell the one that I bought new, the Deluxe, I lose a ton. All said and done, I could be very happy with either bass as a primary. I'd really miss either.

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Yes. But what about person who has that one beat up 79 P-bass and has never played another bass in his life and is bonded and one and in total love with with instrument. It's part of his flesh, his bones, his liver. He knows every grain and lump in the neck... gives me a lump in my throat.

Gimme 50 basses!