Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Falling in love with a Warwick Thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cornbread, Mar 31, 2001.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I just got back from the local Guitar Center, and I'm practically convinced that my next bass will be a Warwick. Nothing else (Stingray 5, Pedulla 5, Conklin GT7) tickled my fancy. I didn't really like the Corvette either; the Thumb was just a lot more appealing. I tried both the bolt-on and neck-through 5's, but couldn't really compare/tell the difference. I love the look, feel, and growl of the Thumb bass. But, I don't know if I'd want to get a 5 instead of a 6 (GC didn't have any 6's). That's a minor dilemma. My question is: Are Thumb basses versatile enough to get all kinds of sounds (ie. from low dub reggae to snappy slap and anything in between)?
    I just wish they weren't so expensive.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I gotta say im falling in love too. Killer rock tone (well, if you like weird tone anyway!). It not a tone i would usually ever use, and i like that. Just something different.

However, i prefer the neck thru to the bolt on 200 times over.The bolt on just feels wrong to me, and i dont know why. Again, the neckthru sounds pretty unique, so you need to play before you buy.

But it can definitely have TONS of bass to it sounds, and go from (like you said) a dub-ish sound to VERY snappy slap. The dub sound probably still isnt what youre used to, but it would work. Pretty snappy, regardless of the settings, because of the hard woods.

I still would suggest the neckthru, though!

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    warwick thumb basses rule. if you can't tell the difference between the neck thru and the bolt on then get the bolt on..but i can't see how you can't....the neck thru feels SO much more solid.

as for versatility, it has lots of variations on the thumb sound, but if you want to be able to get a jazz bass sound, a p bass sound, a music man sound, etc etc....you're gonna be dissapointed.

that said, i find the thumb sound perfect for just about every sound situation.

jason

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I haveb a thumb bolt on and just love it. It does have a unique tone though. also try it with a strap before you buy it they tend to be a little neck heavy but I got used to that real quick.

5. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I didn't really get a chance to compare the neck-through and bolt-on side by side. But I'll take your word for it. Also, what is a good price for the 5's and 6's (bolt-on and neck-through)? GC had the bolt-on 5 for $1410 and the neck-through for $2200 (not sure).