1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Falling out of love with Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MycooLeeyun, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Okay.. not exactly. BUT, ever since I picked up this Yamaha bb2000 and set it up with a set of pressure wounds my jazz seems less appealing. Now the neck on my jazz seems a bit too thin for me when I've been playing that bass for years. I just got this Yamaha and it's feeling so right already. Maybe the strings have a lot to do with it because I set the jazz up with some Fat Beams 45-105 but I'm not loving the tone out of it like I am with the Yamaha.

Oh no... what do I do

Yammybass likes this.
  2. I've never really been a fan of those single-coil pickups, but I did find some single-coils I like a lot in a soapbar.
    IME the J-type design doesn't let them put enough wire on the coil.

MycooLeeyun likes this.
  3. I'm going to test out an Ibanez SR1000 EFM tongiht

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Enjoy the BB2000. I think a great PJ trumps a great jazz bass .
    My MusicMan Caprice made me sell of my 4 string jazz basses.

With any jazz bass I only use one setting, both pickups full on.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    HD007 and MycooLeeyun like this.
  5. Yeah, the neck is a BIT too chunky, but I'm already preferring the chunkier neck over the thin neck on my JB2

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Ok just relaaaaax

MycooLeeyun likes this.
  7. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I guess that no one warned you that old Yamahas can be addictive...:D...they should've had a warning stamped on them...

Great basses. I've owned quite a few of mid-to-high end models back in the 80s and have absolutely nothing bad to say about them..

Let the Jazz take a nap and enjoy the BB...

MycooLeeyun and lowdownthump like this.