Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fallout

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Don Higdon, Sep 11, 2001.

1. As I write, I can look out the window at the World Trade Center wreckage. I'm not going to be funny for a while.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good god. i'm glad you're ok.

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Don, you SPECIFICALLY will be in my prayers. As someone less than 5 blocks away from the Murrah Building on 4/19/95, I know from experience the mental effects on those that aren't directly involved can still be harmful. Deal with your emotions honestly; I know they can be overwhelming at times.

Monte

4. Don't worry 'bout me. It's that the town I live in is a Wall Street bedroom. Everyone I know has or knows somebody over there. Mostly I'm numb. You have to have seen how immense those buildings were to know the shock of seeing a cloud of smoke and concrete dust in their place. I've seen them in the distance every day since they were built.
    Right now, think about the NYC firefighters. They are the most awesome people you'll ever see. Utterly fearless, and if fear does take hold, utterly courageous. 30 adjacent buildings, in a high-rise neighborhood, are on fire.

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Don,

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. I felt fine for months after the bombing. I watched a special on the new 6 months letter and literally cried for hours, and I'm not an extremely emotional person.

Regards,

Monte

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Don,

I have no words for anything like this, but even half a continent away I'm numb. You must be out of your head. My thoughts are with you and your community. Hang in there.

Chris

7. Don:
    After the initial shock, I thought, wasn't Don supposed to be on a plane today? I scrambled through the posts and realized you weren't scheduled to leave for a few days. Thank God.
    It's weird--seeing the footage it looks like a movie. I can't even imagine what it must've been like to see firsthand.
    Still numb.

8. Just as there's a big difference between watching a football game on TV and seeing one live, TV cannot remotely capture the horror of what has happened. Details will be coming out for days which will sicken those who live here, but which are not TV-worthy. Teachers in Ridgewood today will have to try to explain to innocent children why so-and-so has no daddy. And that's just the beginning.

9. Nothing to say but stand strong and good luck moving forward. I woke up to this on the news yesterday and am still numb I cannot imagine being so close. Good Luck.

Any word from Ed?

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Gruffy,

Agreed. I still haven't heard anything from Ed, but that doesn't mean much - he only gets online at work, so if he was safe at home, we wouldn't know about it. Fingers crossed.

BTW, where is "my basement" located?

11. Your place doesn't have a basement?
    Maybe you should have moved into a place on Main st.or Henry ave.;)

12. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    This may be a bit of a redundant question, because I'm sure that someone would have contacted him by now, but doesn't anyone have any other means of getting hold of Ed - a phone number, or his address? The fact that he only uses the net at work is heartening, but I'm sure that I'm not the only person who'd like confirmation.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just a note to let everybody know that the old "ASS" thread has been divided so that the silly and the horrific would not be mingling with each other - I and several others found that situation somehow disturbing, as there was precious little that was even remotely funny about the events of yesterday. Let's try to keep both threads on topic if we can.

Also - and I don't expect this to happen, BUT....if anybody starts spouting any political Bullsh*t in this thread in an attempt to start an argument or (god forbid) a flame war of any kind, both your post AND your proverbial backside will be shown the door IMMEDIATELY. Like I said, I don't expect things to digress down here like they did up in BG, but just in case somebody gets any not-so-bright ideas about flaming anybody in this forum at a time like this, be forewarned: political flaming of ANY kind will NOT be tolerated. This is a time for us to come together and support each other. Let's all try and remember that.

Peace.

Chris

14. bullmoose

bullmoose

Jun 15, 2001
    Edinburgh, UK
    Sympathy and best wishes from the UK - we are all shocked by the news & our thoughts go out to all New Yorkers & Americans at this horrendous time.
    I have many friends in New York and have been up the WTC several times. Only a few months ago I played a gig in Niagra, Ave. A. I always loved looking down 7th ave at the twin towers coming out of Smalls in the early hours as the sun was coming up.
    The world looks on in disbelief.
    Growing up in Belfast, I know how this mindless and tragic waste can stun a community.
    Peace to all.
    Bullmoose

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I only have his snail mail. If I don't hear from him by the end of the week, I'll probably write or try to write or track him down. Until then, I imagine that - like most people who live in the city - he's probably got bigger things on his mind.

16. berserk

berserk

Aug 24, 2000
    Parma, Ohio
    As soon as the Israelis found out about the attack they dispatched a rescue team to the US. Im certain that their experience will be a great asset and I thank them.

17. It's been mentioned that Ed is only online while at his day gig. So I just want to mention that Ed told me he works for the Guggenheim. I know he works at a downtown location. Whether or not it's the SoHo location or some other office location I don't know. My knowledge of NYC streets isn't great but I think SoHo is in the area closed to everyone but rescue workers. Assuming (and God-willing) he's safe, it might be awhile till he gets into the office.

On another note, David Gage's shop is only a few blocks from where the towers stood. I've been his phone is listed as currently disconnected.

18. Called information, they say there's no listing for Fuqua at his address. He hasn't answered my e-mail for many days.

It's hitting home, now. Sudden announcement of a service at my church last night, found the place full of people trying to comfort a new widow with a 7 yr old daughter. It's bad here. I expect more.

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My Brother is in the military and lives very close to the Pentagon.When I spoke with him the other day he said the same thing.

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I'm gonna send him some snail mail tomorrow, although I have no idea how long it will take to reach him. Hopefully, we'll hear from him soon.

Every time I turn on the TV, it makes me want to throw up. I can't imagine what it's like for those who live there.