False Harmonics...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by God_of_bass, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Anybody got a perfect technique for creating them...my guitar teacher showed me but he uses a pick and i can't/dont.
  2. There are a few ways possible to play false harmonics. Supose I want to hit an octave of my G string so I go to the 12th fret of my G string and play the harmonic. It's ecactly 1 octave higher. Instead, try barring the 5th fret of your G string, then go to the 17th fret of the G string (which is just alternating the spacing for the middle of the string) and either tap the harmonic very lightly where you would normally play the harmonic, or place your thumb with its side over the 17th fret bar, and using your index or any other finger pluck the G string as well, producing the same G harmonic I believe another octave higher than that. You can do it anywhere on the fretboard,

I.E. 5th fret harmonic, hold down the 2nd fret and play it on the 7th for a false harmonic. To listen to how they sound, check out pieces by Jaco. He threw them in all over the place, and contribute a lot to basslines in my opinion. Hope the information helps.
  3. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    i doit in this way!
    there most be another way...i think...if some one doit different please post because i want to know!