Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fame Academy, Pop Idol, American Idol

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MKS, Oct 7, 2003.

1. :vent:

Having sat through the final of the latest "Fame Academy" you-choose-the-winner show I'm now getting really sick of this format of having "judges" who say who's good and who's not but-you-the-public-decide.

I don't care anymore. I'd rather that these judges just made up their minds who was best and got on with it. Who's better qualified some industry pundit or me, an idiot member of the public? Sure the person may sing like a badger with a head cold, but ooh, haven't they got a nice haircut and I like their jeans. It isn't about democracy and giving the public their say, it just seems like plain lazy TV making.

The current Pop Idol in the UK has a case in point. The obvious winner in terms of talent, voice and execution of singing has to be the big girl from Scotland. But because she's over 125 pounds she won't get it.

The added benefit is that these competitions would only take half the time. Which would be good. :rolleyes:

BAH!
    :/vent:

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Of course, you could always give up watching TV and do something more interesting instead...

Wulf (never had my own TV and still not a spare minute in the day...)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - the point is about who will make it as a pop star. So that is not about talent, voice or great singing!!

But rather who will shift most product!

So they have chosen the right method to determine it - but what they are effectively doing is getting their "Market Research" done for free! In fact people who phone up are paying for the privilege of taking part in a Market Research campaign to find which of these people will sell more records,T-shirts, memorabilia etc.

Great Marketing concept in action!!

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yeah, those crappy shows have landed to Finland too.. Idols and Popstars and whatnot.

But atleast it's entertaining to watch how the judges are cruelly honest and pissed off at having to sit and stare at thousands of lousy performances - comments like "are you absolutely sure no-one's ever mentioned how you suck as a singer?" are from the mildest end of the spectrum :D

(Well of course they give some real feedback too, like "you are good in this and that but that doesn't work and that needs more work", but that's not very entertaining now is it?)

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Turn off your TV.

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    In Sweden we have Fame Factory, in reality run by one of our most successful record company bosses with the goal of finding artists for his own record label and for the annual European Song Contest. The whole thing is incredibly professional from that standpoint, every CD they have released with (mediocre) songs from the TV show have gone instant gold and platinum. Kids lap it up. They also run sold-out summer tours and things like that. It's very interesting to watch this process and see glimpses of the skilled musicians and song writers that are behind the scenes. The house band backing the kids is amazing. I'm glued to the screen every day...

I just feel a bit sorry for the starry-eyed contestants, they are steam-rollered in the process and come out of it believing they are actually artists, and good ones at that. I can't see any of them having anything lasting come out of it, just major disappointment down the road. But OK, if they are aware of this I guess it's a thrill ride as long as they are in the show.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I tried watching Australian Idol but it was too painful. It reminded me of every singer audition I've ever been a part of.

It's gearing up to a finale so the talent is semi-decent now. But they all sing sloppy balads that would probably make me cry if a gave a stuff - which I don't. Why? Because the poor winner will have one hit, maybe 2, then disappear.......

8. Thanks for all the helpful advice from correspondents re:Turning off my TV. ;) I wouldn't mind but a) I pay a licence fee and so contribute towards this garbage and b) On the occasions that I do want to watch TV I often find myself unable to find anything worth watching.

(Yeah, yeah so I shouldn't bother, sell my TV and do some bass practice... :rolleyes: :) )

For those that don't have a TV or don't watch, you are aware that these kinds of programs exist though right? :D

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's hard to avoid them entirely. Last week, on the train up to my gig, I was entertained by the musings of a group a few seats further down the carriage about one of these programs (the only comment I remember was something like 'nah - she won't go out tonight... she's too cute').

Wulf

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, but I haven't seen them, really, so .... ;)

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    No she's not the obvious winner - her tone is nasal, her interpretation is overblown and her performance is decidly lacking in feeling. And on a purely visual basis, it's not that she's fat, the issue is that she's just not attractive and would still be plain if she was thin.

On the other hand, at least she isn't a pretentious sulky tomboy who tries to sing lower than her resonance allows, has an awful boomy tone and totally murdered a Coldplay song on TOTP.

Alex

12. OK, but we could easily drop about 50 other people and cut to the last 10 without too much effort/time/voting/adverts. ;)

Arf, arf... Quite agree. :D

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As I said before - if you cut out the process - you are cutting out the true aim - to decide by tried and tested Market Research methods - who will shift most product....and you would have to fill the gap in the TV scedule with programmes which actually cost money!! ;)

14. I think Bruce nailed it. Talent doesn't necessarily sell records, just look at TB...lots of talent here, but how many of us have sold tons of records? Essentially, whatever record company is behind the show (I haven't paid attention) is getting "the next big thing" handed to them on a silver platter by the very people who will buy it. Sure, it costs some money to make the show, but it's a foolproof investment as long as people keep watching because the winner instantly sells a buttload of albums. They may end up being a one-hit wonder, but a million records is still a million records.

15. Well, Spain has Operacion Triunfo...

Kinda the same manufactured ****, looking for a Ricky Martin or Britney Spears clone...

but...

Quite a surprise, Rosa Lopez, a vastly overweight young smalltown girl with Old School Soul as her main influence, won the first edition. She had the best range actually. (Problem for her was later on... she was exploited by "the man" to the point of damaging her voice after too much touring. She is back now, but will she get overworked again? Hmmm...)

2nd place and 3rd went to typical "latin macho" figures albeit with good vocal range. A Britney clone also did well.

Can't tell much about the 2nd year, but some are doing decent stuff. This year there are two overweight contestants.

My problem with these shows is: artist A works like a dog for years (some even with formal music training) but gets nowhere yet artist B goes to this show without any previous experience and if succesful enough then boom! record contract and fame. Plus the kids are basically being molded and rarely are allowed to be themselves. Not to mention the age restriction.

Then again that's how the music business operates only this you see live on TV...

This kind of program will fade...

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Does she have a famous, chunky-ass, relative called Jennifer?

17. the general public is stupid. Of course they're going to pick some britney knock off, I would be surprised if they didn't

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :) Did anyone else click on the word "didn't" thinking it was a link? I'm an idiot.

Actually none of the Austr Idol finalists resemble Britney at all. All the bleached/starved wannabees were wiped out pretty early.

We've got a few Craig David's though.........

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Don't go so far as to generalize the public as being "stupid". Sure, there's alot of pap out there that for some strange reason gets ratings. But, if you look closely...well, you may be partially right.

20. look at my location, I've learned more about stupid in the past two days than I care to admit. :(