Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

family jamming?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kearney, Nov 13, 2004.

1. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    does anyone else in thier family have musicians who they jam with?

i usually jam with my dad, blues jam'd in the kitchen last night, him on my new acoustic guitar, me on my jazz bass with my 15 watt.

its soo fun and it helps my improvisation, basically i start a bass line, and he picks up improving on guitar, and we do all those chord progressions and that stuff and it really puts me on the spot, cuz i have to think of a bass line with flashes, in no time, and ive realized ive come up with some good ones.

2. Yeah man, sometimes I'll jam with my dad on bass or guitar, and we'll go to a friends house one night and jam until like, midnight or something. It's really cool.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Off to Misc.

One thing I regret is that my family has very few musicians in it. Made it harder to jam when I was younger, but ah well. :)

4. my cousin played/plays the Clarinet...thats pretty much it.

5. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    i got a funny story bout jammin last night

i was jammin in the kitchen right? so when i played an open string, i yanked a pot outta the dish drain and started beatin on it with my headstock along with the notes, :bassist:

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I like to jam with my kids, especially my six year old boy. We'll make up some lyrics on the spot about him and his friends and I'll shout them out over a 'standard' original bass line of mine - give him a drum or something to whack and see if he can keep a strait beat and feel when the stops are coming. It's really a lot of fun, he totally digs it.
    :bassist:

7. I never had anyone in the household that I could jam with. My mom played cello and my brother played violin. I play the double bass and bass guitar (go figue :rolleyes: ). However, my uncle is a professional jazz pianist and a 2nd cousin is a professional jazz vocalist and flutist. I've jammed with both at the same time once, and a few times with my uncle. My uncle lays down unbelievable lines on the piano. :eek:

8. My brother tried playing with one of my bands once. Did not work out at all.

9. Sometimes I jam with my extended family at Christmas/Thanksgiving/reunions.

10. I play with my father in law from time to time. He plays guitar and mandolin. His sister and wife sings and his brother in law plays the banjo and they had a little bluegrass band. Other times we will go to the town square either in Collierville, TN or Hernando, MS and play some bluegrass at local "pickings." I usually play acoustic guitar in this setting. Another guy has an old upright that he plucks on.

My dad has played guitar and sang all his life. I jam with him sometimes too. My stepbrothers play bass and drums too, but I rarely get together with them.

My brother-in-law plays bass in a local band called Gabby Johnson. They took the name from the movie Blazing Saddles. I've only noodled around with him a little bit, but he has very nice basses. I love his Lakland 55-94. It smokes!

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My little brother is picking up bass, and I'm picking up drums, I imagine we'll rock out here and there.

12. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i'd love to hear any music you and your brother come up with, after hearing tales of your crazy siblings :p

13. My late grandfather was the only other musician in my family. He was a master of pretty much any instrument you could think of. He was a pro jazz man in the 50's, 60's , and 70's. He played with a group that opened for the band Spirit in the late sixties. He also played bass for Billy Joel a few times. He lived in Nashville , but everytime id see him we'd jam. he taught me to play everything i didnt already know at the time. I always had fun with him.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Probably just metal. He's taking after me like that.

15. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

For sure. In fact they are who I prefer to play with the most. My dad plays guitar and bass, my bro plays piano and percussion, one uncle plays piano, another uncle plays guitar, my grandpa plays double bass etc etc. Most of our jam sessions are better than most stuff on the radio, and if we really worked on something I know it would come out pretty good. We just hardly ever play together because of time and distance.

16. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Me and my bro jam every now and then. We live in the same household, but never jam because of time scheduals, and because he plays guitar.

:bag:

17. walewein

walewein

Jun 13, 2003
    Belgium
    I'm starting up a metal band with my brother, we each have only 4 years of experience with our instruments so it will be tough to start out we got 4 songs we try to practice on during rehearsals:

Metallica - Enter Sandman
    Hammerfall - Dragon lies bleeding
    Megadeth - symphony of destruction
    Dimmu Borgir - Mourning Palace

These songs are rather simple on bass but the solo's are still a bit new to my brother, and off course we jam occasionally

18. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My dad plays guitar, we jam on the occasion. It's fun.

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hammerfall's a damn good band! Nice choice in the covers.

My brother plays guitar, but due to strange circumstances (he didn't play in grade 13, and I started playing bass just before then and now he's in university) we haven't jammed together yet. Only other musicians in the family are an uncle and a cousin, and I only see them at Christmas, so I haven't played with them yet.

It'd be great if I could jam with family though...I've got these two friends (brothers) -- one plays bass and guitar, the other plays drums, and their father plays guitar (all of them being pretty damn good at what they do). I also know another set of brothers -- one an incredibly talented drummer, and the older brother a really good bassist/guitarist. Imagine sharing the bond of blood, and of the rhythm section?

20. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Nope. I'm the only musician in my family