Family man w/ Bob Marley

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Jan 2, 2002.

1. I like the dub style of bass... what are some of the Family Man's best lines with Bob Marley? And while you're at it, list some good dub songs.

- Jamey
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Most of Bob Marley and the Wailers' recorded output is at the opposite end of the Reggae spectrum from "Dub" as such - so they concentrated on songs, whereas real Dub is usually just bass and drums with some effects and mixing. Really heavy bass and totally groove-oriented!!

I always though that Family Man was a bit "light" for Dub and the best Dub performance I ever saw live was Sly and Robbie (Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespear), when they toured with Black Uhuru. So at the end of the show - the singers and the rest of the band went off stage and you just had bass and drums for about 30- 40 minutes - but it was the highlight of the whole set and the large audience couldn't get enough!

For real Dub - I have a CD, just called "Dub Reggae" which contains two whole albums. One by King Tubby and the Aggrovators - who were part of the original Dub movement - and another more recent one by Sly and Robbie which is excellent.
  3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    There are actually dub plates of BMW songs floating around, many of them produced by Bob Marley for the Jamaican sound system market. A lot of those "Tuff Gong" releases have a much rougher mix than the Island ones and they accentuate just how really heavy the Barrett brothers riddim section could get. Off hand, "One Drop", "Exodus" and "Who the Cap Fit" had pretty good dubs.

For serious dub plates though check out anything by King Tubby, who is said to have invented dub, and old Lee Scratch Perry albums like Blackboard Jungle Dub.