Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Family opinions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mike phillips, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Hello all out there in bass world! I am Mike Phillips' daughter and I think he's insane fo playing bass:rollno: .
    I'm not asking you all because you'll defend all your bass buddies. What do your families think of you playing bass?:confused: O.K. let me know please! Keep on rockin':bassist: !

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    My family loves me playing bass! They're all musicians as well, but they love it!
    They hate me constantly buying stuff though haha

-Mark

3. My family likes it, so long as i stop before 10:00 pm, when they go to bed...thats why i am glad to be in dorms now :)

4. Well, well, well. Looks like I am the only crazy one (but hopefully I'm not!)

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, Mike Phillips' daughter.

Before anyone else answers, I think we should know why you think he's crazy. I mean, if he only plays the bass when he's standing in a vat of jello wearing a confederate hat, he might be crazy.:rolleyes:

6. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Good point! :ninja:

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Jeeze, why is it always the hat thing that gets people labeled as crazy ?:confused:

8. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Is Bass the instrument choice for Crazy people?... I thought it was the Kazoo...or maybe even Lead Tuba...

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Hmmm, can you clarify? On the one hand you think he's insane for playing bass, then at the end you say "Keep on rockin'"

My wife told me once that if I ever quit playing music she'd kick my *ss because I was meant to play music. I don't think they care much about what instrument I play.

Why bass? A variety of reasons, but mainly I feel much more in tune (pardon the pun) with the rhythm section and the low end. It's the bass that gets people bobbing their head and tapping their feet, and shakin' it out on the dance floor. NO ONE dances to guitar. People feel the music because of the rhythm section.

Do you think he's crazy because he's a musician, or because he plays bass?

10. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    As a father of three kids, and as someone who just started learning bass last year, I understand your dad's point of view. Maybe it's the whole perception that we're too old to play (or listen to) music. But for me, the bass has given me something in my life to break the everyday monotony. Everybody needs a hobby or pasttime to keep from going insane.

As for you, I would just say to keep an open mind. When you get older and have kids, they might share the thoughts you have right now. But by then, maybe you won't want your kid running your life.

Maybe your dad's bass-playing is a way to stay sane. There are worse things that he could do in life. My dad's life dream was to build a kit airplane - that sounds goofy to me, but I never told him that. It's his dream - why trash it.

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Don't Daddy-Hate. Daddy Appreciate.

Or, something.

Okay, that was dumb, but you get my point.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    when I was born My Grandpa had already been a guitarist for longer than my Mom was alive. He'd show up at family get togethers with a guitar and sheet music to put on "sing alongs". My father plays a little guitar and my Mother plays most woodwinds. My whole family enjoy a wide variety of music styles.

When I was in 4th grade, my school wouldn't teach bass (upright OR electric) so I did like Mom and took Sax as a starter instrument. For my 10th Birthday my Grandfather rescued a cheap bass from the trash and bought me an Ampeg tube combo.

My folks paid and took me to lessons and as I got better, came to some shows. My Mom has a CD of my most recent recordings in her car CD changer.

My wife comes out to shows... our 2nd or 3rd date was her following me over 2 hours away for a funk/blues gig. I gave up playing and sold my gear to go back to school for our future. She cried. As soon as I mentioned the itch to get back in the game 2 years later... she pulled out some cash she'd set aside for my music if it came back to me.

She's helped buy me 2 basses and a tube head in the past couple years.

My question "Mike's Daughter"; Why don't you respect your father for who he is and what he does? Seems like a selfish attitude for a daughter to have.

13. Well, I just wonder because USUALLY the bass player stands in the back (which is perfect for him). It's not that I'm not proud of him for doing what he loves, thats awesome! It's just the bass I dont like (which is probably not a good thing to say on ths site).You gotta' do what you love, and if you love bass play it! I just dont like the bass.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

Fair 'nuff. I love bass and that's what I play. I also play guitar, piano, and most woodwind instruments... but all the others are simply ways for me to expand the bass.

As far as the "USUALLY in the back" thing... that's fine. not everyone has a need to be out front. Those guys in the back are setting the foundation needed for the others to be out front.... and you know what, the ones in the back... are still up there "Doing it!" :bassist:

15. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Are you sure about that? Next time you go listen to a band, ask them to turn the bass off for the whole night.

You might gain a whole new appreciation for it. ;)

16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Don't like bass? Don't like BASS?

Get your dad back on the computer. Sounds like someone needs a trip to the woodshed. :bawl:

My wife has a new-found respect for the bass since I took in back up.

17. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You guys are lucky. I've had a long string of haters and misunderstanders.

My grandmother hated it when I was a teen.

My father busted my Ibanez EX when I was 18 over a fight him and I had.

Nowadays he wonders why I don't play covers or blues. I guess he still sees the music I play as a passing fad.

My ex fiancee hated it. Not so much the actual music, but she was an attention wh*re. I lost more than some of my bass skills, but a lot of my friends because I was too p-whipped. I remember one of the biggest fights we got into was over me spending my own money to get a 6'er. It was a $299 Carlo Robelli. It wasn't like I was buying a Fodera. She didn't understand it. I guess she wanted more gifts for her. She ended up leaving me for someone who made $60,000 a year. They divorced less than a year later. :D

Now I live alone, and I jam at least an hour a day. I'm loving it. And, my father was happy to hear that we were going to cover Captain Jack.

So, hopefully this is a step in a better direction for my playing.

18. my turn now. you try to raise your young uns right and this happens. 13 year olds. i reckon if you aint billy joe amrstrong you dont get no respect. yes give me my job and ill stand in the corner and do it. it works just like the rest of the world. the grunts do all the work and some bonehead other than him gets the credit. do what he says cut off the bass and see what you think lil girl. thank you all my bass brothers.:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

:D you can let that sassy 13 year old of yours know that I saw Billy Joe playing live back in the late 80s... back when her old man was young and hip AND before Billy Joe's voice got processed through an 'autotune' :smug:

20. this old man is still hip. i can bang my head with the best of em. if its to loud your to old, but only now i wear hearin protection to keep what hearin i have left. thanks for settin her straight.