1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Family Pics (Mostly MTD Content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XavidmanX, Aug 31, 2008.

1. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    Normally I'm not one to post a "Family" pic, mainly because I'm marrying off and adopting basses pretty frequently. However, I feel pretty comfortable with my current stable and don't plan on selling/trading anytime soon, with the exception of the Fender J to fund an Alleva Coppolo.

Besides that I'm a pretty happy guy.

With the different trials that my family has been through in the last 3 years (including financial) I never thought I would own another MTD again. Needless to say, I'm blessed to own the following basses. Just wanted to share some examples from the man I consider to be the finest luthier around today (and a pretty darn good Fender, too:bassist:).

IMG_1240.
    IMG_1238.

Center on ground:

Olympic White Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5
    Alder Body
    Maple Neck
    Rosewood Board

From left to right:

MTD 635 - "Marilyn" Fretless
    Chambered Mahogany body
    Blackened Redwood Top
    Maple Neck
    Ebony Board
    Single magnetic p'up in the sweet spot
    Piezo Bridge

MTD 535-21
    Ash Body
    Walnut Burl Top
    Ash Neck
    Maple Board
    (The best 5 string I've ever heard...bar none)

MTD JJ5
    Ash Body
    Ash Neck
    Maple Board

MTD 635-24
    Ash Body
    Maple Burl Top
    Ash Neck
    Maple Board

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    (drool).... not on the basses, of course!

3. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    O my, that is a real nice family. Hope school is treating you well. :)

4. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    Nice. I'd love to play every one of them.

5. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    Thanks! I'm done with my coursework and am currently working on my dissertation. I hope to be a "Dr." in April and then do the official graduation walk in May.:bassist:

How's school treating you? I read your lament in another thread about your book costs. Bummer...

6. CliffD

CliffD Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    What's your opinion of the MTD JJ?

7. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    Hey Cliff~

Well, I think the jury is still out on that one as I'm still trying to hit my stride and get in sync with that bass.

Overall I think the craftsmanship is excellent, as Mike's work always is. The weight, balance, etc.,...all good.

The preamp setup is vol/vol and that is not my cup of tea. I'm more of a vol/blend type of guy so I think I'm going to get the new preamp with the vol/blend/master tone control setup from Mike.

The tone is great, though. I played it today at church and through the Aviom headphone monitoring system we use it sounded the best out of all of my basses when set flat. (FWIW, I happen to hate the sound of the ear monitors, and I have a $500 pair that the church bought. I have heard that a lot of people like them since they eliminate stage noise, blah blah blah, but I like to hear my bass thump which you just don't get with the ear monitors. That's for another thread, though.)

The tone is definitely just as Mike says in his interview with Norm Stockton on Youtube - it has a smaller sonic footprint, but still plenty of low end booty and thump to go around. It definitely occupies a smaller, yet (maybe...still experimenting) more focused spot in the mix (as far as I could tell in one gig this morning). BTW, the reason I have a hard time telling how it sits in the mix is because after I plug into the DI box that sends my signal to the board and a million miles of cables to the subs that carry my signal (the same subs that carry the kick drum) I think it's a totally different tone. I digress...

Bottom line is that I think he's got a good thing with this bass. I want to put some steels on it (MTD Nylons right now) and see how it sounds.

One negative thing is that to my ear it sounds more...what's the word I'm looking for...compressed?...electronic-y? than his 535's...IMO. There could be a lot of reason for that...maybe the Barts or the TCT pre...maybe my rig.

So, it's a keeper but I'm not completely head over heels for it though. Still have some tweaking to do.

8. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Actually school is hit or miss right now. I transfered to Saint Louis where I get to do my own research and have full access to all the EE and CS labs, which is amazing, but I don't really like the campus and I'm in temp housing because the housing department forgot to assign me a one room apartment of theirs. So I guess if I deal with that it will all be good.

Yeah, it kinda stinks when books keep me away from a pretty MTD(Marilyn fretless:D) but I suppose its worth it.

Hm, let us know, I'll have to start calling you Dr.XavidmanX!

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Could be the Ash neck on that JJ too. IME it's like Wenge x10.

Nice collection.

10. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA

Thanks!

I know that the ash necks definitely have a unique tone to them, but I prefer them to wenge necks. IME, the wenge neck/fb MTD's have a lot of compression in the mids, especially when the strings go dead. Mike Tobias says that ash is like wenge but 'without the choke' and I have to agree. Anyway, I know it's an aggressive wood combo and I would have preferred to have an alder/RW combo but this is what came up. FWIW, my 535 with the ash neck doesn't have that same characteristic to it, to my ear.

At any rate, I'm going to give it some more playing time and see what I think.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Cool. Kevin Brubaker built an all Ash bass and, while the guy who bought it loved it, it definitely was over the top for me. I'd agree that Wenge has a more controlled sound. This thing was throwing pinpoint razors.
    :D

12. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    LOL...

I had an MTD (ash body/ash neck/maple board/maple burl top AND back) that "threw razors" (I have been searching for a way to describe the tone of that bass and you NAILED IT!).

I think it was the all ash thang with the maple top and maple back that made this bass unpleasant to my ears. The guy at the music shop I took it to said, "man, this thing will take your head off!" I had a pretty midrangey rig at the time but he plugged into what I would describe as a rig with less midrange character and more big booty and it still did the same thing.

13. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Great family Tony! I hope to meet them personally someday - specially the fretless 6 - wow!

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

The first time I popped on that Ash bass, I ducked! No joke.
    :D

15. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Wow, great set of basses you have there! I particularly dig the fretless.

Congratulations in advance. You're in the home stretch. :)

Marshall

16. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    I know that feeling...:p

17. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    Thanks! Can't wait to get it done and actually have some free time without worrying about what I should be writing about instead of having fun.:help:

18. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    As the current owner of the bass you guys are essentially rippin' on, who's virtual ears are burning like a California wildfire at the moment, I must say I LIKE that aggression, so :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit:

LOL!

Ok, just had to do that. :)

Seriously tho, I do hear what yer sayin' in general, and there's a lot to it, but at least for me personally, it's a great sounding bass. To be fair tho, as much as I definitely do dig that bass, my fave MTD is a toss up between my newest one and my oldest one... ironically pretty different from each other too... ash/walnut body with an ash/maple neck, and the older one is an ash/maple body with a maple/ebony neck.

Anyway, Tony, your collection is a LOT more diversified than mine, and I do admire you for that. I wish I could play all those, but I'm just not much of a fretless player, and I've never been able to sit well on a sixer for some reason. Rock-on, dude, and congrats on a TRULY KILLER collection!!!!

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Hey Vic, I was talking about an all Ash Brubaker I played. But knowing how my Ash/Wenge 635 was with SS strings (I've used Nickel since the first string change), I can only imagine the visit to the emergency room I'd have to take with an all Ash one;)

Obviously just kidding. I'm just not one of the people who likes what the Ash neck adds to the equation. OMV

20. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    LMAO!! When I wrote that I was kind of hoping that you would read the post and chime in...definitely an intentional rip on that bass;).

I still think that bass might have sounded a whole lot different with an EpiUL2410 and an Eden 405. My rig at the time was way too mid-focused. Anyway, I'm glad you like it...heck, without that trade I wouldn't have ever found my favorite amp!:bassist:

I NEED to hear that bass! I've heard the YouTube clips from the Borg but in person is a must at some point.

Thanks for the kind words. I was actually thinking the opposite in terms of tone woods. ash/ash seems to be what I'm stuck on. I dig it for the 535, and the 635 is too beautiful to really care about tone woods, but I was kind of hoping for a different set of woods for the JJ5 (alder/RW) but waiting for one to pop up used with those woods would be ludicrous. I'm happy with what I have but if an alder/RW or ash/maple/RW MTD pops up I might have to sell something. Even a Mahogany/Ebony fretted would be interesting...:help: