famous 12 string bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bailstric, Apr 10, 2002.

1. bailstric

Aug 12, 2001
    Ontario Canada
    Hi, I often read you guystalkign about 12 string basses and have never heard one played. Who(if there are any) plays a 12(7 or any number higher then six) and is in a mainstream famous band that I might recognize. thanks
  2. Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Tom Peterson, the bassist from "Cheap Trick" plays 12 stringers and more. Up to 18 strings if I am not mistaken.
  3. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Well, if you're talking about the 12-string bass like Tom Peterson from Cheap Trick plays... uhh, there's one. Doug Pinnick (King's X), Jeff Ahmet (Pearl Jam), Monty Colvin (Galactic Cowboys)... uhh yeah. I'm sure there are others that I'm over looking right now.

Probably the one that you've heard and you just don't know it is the intro to "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Moved to "Bassists"
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    John Paul Jones (solo, Led Zep)

Allan Woody (Allman Brothers Band, Gov't Mule)
  6. Thunderbox

Apr 11, 2002
    Akron, OH
    Ive got a video of the Allman Brothers from 1991 where Allen Woody(RIP) plays "Whipping Post" on an 18-stringer(I think it's a Modulus). He looks as though he's in excruciating pain playing it(I would be. I never even made it to 5-strings!:D ).
  7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    David Henning of the band Big Wreck plays a 12-string almost exclusively, AFAIK.
  8. crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    To witness the awesome power of Tom Petersson's 12-string, I would suggest the Cheap Trick CD "Music for Hangovers." It's a newer live CD, and has a nice selection of Cheap Trick hits.
  9. PeninaD

May 26, 2001
    Jason Newsted used a 12 string for effects, not known to use them on-stage with Metallica though.

What he will do with Echobrain, Gov't Mule, Voivod, etc who knows? In the meantime at live shows, he DOES play a Theremin and bass at the same time by using the neck of the bass to control the electical fields of the Theremin. Nice trick.