Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Famous albums that haven't impressed you

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Feb 3, 2006.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody (please insert the usual "search disclaimer" here).

I was just re-reading a thread I posted some time ago about my disliking towards Van Halen's "Women And Children First" and thought that there are several albums that have been successful and I don't have because I haven't been impressed with them. I'd like to know your stories about this. Here are the albums I can recall right now:

- The aforementioned "Women And Children First". I really don't know how successful it was, but anyway, after two VH albums that I liked, I expected something different when this appeared.

- Black Sabbath's "Heaven And Hell". I think I have to give this one a new listening. I didn't like it when it was released (maybe because couldn't accept Ozzy's departure?). Speaking of Sabbath-Dio releases, "The Mob Rules" was much better to me (and I played it in my turntable a lot!).

- Michael Jackson's "Thriller". I don't have this smash hit. The only songs I really liked from this album were "Beat It" and "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'". The previous work "Off The Wall" was MUCH better to me and of course I have it with its original cover, which was changed for the CD release. "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" made me scream and the whole album has sort of a "Motownish" vibe that can't feel in "Thriller".

- Pink Floyd's "The Wall". I have both live versions from PF and Roger Waters, but never been interested in the original one. In fact, I only liked "The Wall" after watching the movie, but when the album was first released, I hated it.

- Supertramp's "Breakfast In America". I learned to appreciate these guys after my tastes started softening with time, but when this was released, it was so soft to me and I didn't like that stuff (I was almost exclusively into AC/DC or Kiss-type stuff then). A friend lent me his copy and I had it at home for several days, listened and listened and couldn't get into it. In fact, at the time I created sort of a rejection feeling towards anything related with this album (A&M Records, Roger Hodgson, the songs' titles, Peter Henderson -record producer-...). Now I have "Paris", which I really like.

- Paul McCartney's "Pipes Of Peace". At least here, this album was very popular (maybe because Michael Jackson in "Say, Say, Say"?). Actually, I've never been really impressed with Sir Paul's post-Beatles works.

Maybe more to come. Thank you in advance for your input! :)

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Shockingly enough, Abbey Road. I love a few of the songs on it, but to me it lacks the unity of the other albums. Sometimes it feels like a bunch of disjointed ideas.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I love the wall. the live versions are great too, but the original is good stuff. of course, I love almost all pink floyd stuff.

4. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Beatles White Album - I thought this could have easily been a 45, "Helter Skelter" b/w "Me and My Monkey".

Dark Side of the Moon - PF

Brain Salad Surgery - ELP

I must have the weirdest taste 'cuz anytime an album turned a cult band into mainstream heroes, I found it lacking. Haha

5. etb67

etb67 Far Out Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys
    No offense to any Beach Boys fans, but it doesn't do much for me.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The White Album.
    Frampton Comes Alive.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Most Beatles albums.

Early Metallica albums.

8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Damn, "The Wall" is my favorita album of all time. Every song on it is perfect IMHO and I hold it in near religious regard. I'll admit I liked "Mob Rules" better than "Heaven and Hell" too but H&H is still great.

Led Zeppelin "I" never did much for me. All the rest are great though.

Carcass' "Heartwork" is supposed to be one of those seminal metal albums that you hear alot of artists talk about when interviewed about what albums "changed their life." Bores the crap out of me.:meh:

Type O Negative's "Bloody Kisses." Everyone else considers this to be this bands best album but I consider it one of their weakest. "World Coming Down" is their best.

9. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    ELP-Works 1 & 2

Roxy Music - Avalon

Frampton Comes Alive

The Who - Face Dances, It's Hard

10. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I may get flamed over this, but, ANYTHING by the DOORS!!!
    I always thought Jim Morrison was overrated and I hate that organ.

11. ^I'm not even touching this, I'll leave it for the more ravenous TBers.

I agree with The Wall. Most of the songs are awesome, but out of like 20 tracks, too many of them are just wierd noises and story-related scenes. I'll watch the movie, no problem. But when I pop the CD on, I'm very selective about which tracks actually get played.

12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Tommy
    Most of Led Zeppelin's catalog
    Most of the Beatles catalog
    Most 'famous' concept albums (w/ the exception of Quadrophenia, and Arthur... and Village Green by the Kinks.)

13. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    The Wall
    Anything by Clapton (including Cream)
    Anything by CSNY
    Coda (this one hurts, Zep is my all time fav)

14. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

i gotta agree with ya.

15. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    me too, no doors fan here. I never really got Sprinstein either, as well as the DEAD

16. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    any led zep or pink floyd.
    BLACK & BLUE=stones
    EMOTIONAL RESCUE=stones.

they should be ashamed of themselves.

17. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I couldn't agree more!Thought i was the only one!

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    ANYTHING Metallica. I didn't get it then, and I don't get it now.
    Cliff Burton was nothing special, despite all the reverence heaped on him. Just one in a long line of hard rock bassists playing guitar on a 4 string. Perhaps because he had an untimely passing? James Hetfield has one of the most annoying voices known to man.

Springsteen too. I don't buy the whole "working man's hero" garbage. I find his music pretty annoying, ESPECIALLY Born in the USA.

Feel free to disagree, after all, I disagree with most of the posts on this thread, especially the ones mentioning Abbey Road and Zep!

19. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Weather Report; Heavy Weather; too much cheesy keys and not enough funk!

Mars Volta; Frances the mute; too much, just too much of everything. When I hear that album, I imagine them sitting in the studio and shouting stuff like
    "hey John, there's 5 seconds in that song that haven't been stuffed, put some wicked fill there!"
    "ok Omar, you mean between the 2 guitarsolos?"
    "yeah, this song isn't complicated enough."

Stuff like Arcade Fire, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, etc most of the british hype bands tend to be rather disappointing.

20. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Anything by Doors, Grateful Dead, Neil Diamond, Neil Young.

Al Cooper never impressed me, but I was always taken by some impression that he had potential, and someday........ Alan Parsons fits into that catagory too.