Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Famous bands taking priority over non-famous bands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 5s_tring freak, May 27, 2002.

1. Tonite me and my band were supposed to practice like we do every week at a studio. there are usually 2 or 3 bands practicing at once in different rooms.

Tonite we weren't permitted to play cos a famous NZ band called Pacifier (formerly known as Shihad to all New Zealanders and Australians) were practicing for an upcoming festival and "didn't want anyone to hear them practicing".

I thought this was rather unfair. We pay good money to practice there every monday nite, and are supposed to expect to drop everything for some band at the drop of a hat? I think that is wrong. They dont even pay for their time there. Its likw cos they are well known over here that everyone bows down to them and worships the ground they walk on!

I dont know why they dont want anyone to hear them practicing anyway. Everyone in New Zealand knows all their songs anyway!

Any thoughts?

EDIT: sorry wrong forum! feel free to move it anytime.

2. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    You just answered your own question. Because they're famous and you guys are'nt. Look at it from the owners point of view. On this given monday you can have either:
    A.) A well-established band that is going to play a nice-sized festival come reherse, charge them nothing because you KNOW they're going to plug the hell out of the place in return and also make a number of nice connections.

or (And get ready for a lot of euphemisms. I don't mean any offence and apologize in advance for any misunderstandings)

B.) Some local kids/guys who just play in a local band that, in their view, will probably go on to do nothing.

Is it fair? Absolutely, from a business standpoint. Is it ethically fair? Not on your life.

Personally, if it bothers you so much, I would kindly tell the owner/manager/whoever that you don't wish to spend your money at an establishment that has it's priorities all ascew and go reherse somewhere else. To paraphrase a bank advert down here in Cali "It's easier to switch rehersal places then put up with a bad one".

It's called The Biz. Learn It. Live It. Love/Hate It.

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    uh, Miscellaneous anyone?

Chris A.:rolleyes:

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Take your money elsewhere.

5. Ewwwwwwwww, another bitterness "it's not fair" thread, ewwwww. Stop it, who said life it fair. Ewwwww,

Next you'll be saying, Blink 182 shouldnt make money cos Hoppus is rubbish at bass.

Sigh

sim

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Are they going to make you pay for the night that you were booked?

Everyone knows (and if you don't welcome to the real world) that the wealthy and the famous play by a different set of rules. Pro athletes always jump the line for MRI scans and other medical procedures. Celebrities rarely do jail time for even serious offences.

At the same time, I'm willing to guess that most of the groups using that rehearsal space are NOT that well-known or popular. Your band and bands like yours are probably the bread-and-butter of your rehearsal space's business. If you take your business away and spread the word that this place stomps on the little guy, they may take a serious hit.