famous bass players who taught themselfes!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Obsolex, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    correct me if i'm wrong but i'll start out with saying the bass god les claypool taught himself, didn't he?
  2. Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    I think for the most part he was self-taught. I remember reading that he played upright bass in the school jazz band. So that means he would have had some kind of formal teaching.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    In the end you ALWAYS teach yourself, wether you have a teacher or not. A teacher can only assist you in learning, the actual progress of learning is in your hands alone.
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Was Jaco self-taught? Someone somewhere said he was...
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    And if he is self-taught, imagine how much better he'd be now if he had someone to guide his talents.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Claypool himself diesn't think he's even remotely a bass god.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay

Just try to find someone who can guide you with your learning.

I admit that I have not relaly had any formal BASS instructions, though I have been playing bass in band class and have been taught very basic music theory for the past 3 years.

I could definetly benefit from a teacher and am dying to get one, the only problem is that I dont have them time for one between school and my band.

I am at the point where I can do really good playing the kind of music that I play, but that doesnt change the fact that I realize I can get better with someone to guide me.

A big part of having a teacher is having someone who knows what to look for as far as progress goes.

Someone who can identify mistakes and shortcommings can help you by pointing out things that you probably dont notice that you are doing wrong. I think that alot of what you have been asking us here could be answered by a teacher who knows you and has heard you than by strangers who have never met you.

Thats just my $0.02.

PS: Doesnt this belong in Bassist?
  7. lostatrout

lostatrout Guest

Nov 20, 2002
    Bethel, Vermont
    A good bass player is one who listens! The more you listen, the better bass player you will become. Personally, I have been playing for 16 years and am "self taught". I've never had a one on one bass lesson and I wish I would have. I still may at some point. I have learned with my ears and with CD's, DVD's, and Tab. Any door you can open to your ear will greatly enhance your skills as a "bottom feeder" (my term). If you can't listen, you will NEVER improve and that is a fact. I had an ear training professor in college who once told me that, "if you can hear it, you can play it". Obviously most of us can hear Victor Wootens stuff and not play it but I'm sure you see my point. Bottom line? LISTEN!!
  8. jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    aside from Classical music training and such, Phil Lesh
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Flea... but teachers are good... I wouldn't know :rolleyes:
  10. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I remember reading an interview with Jaco in Guitar Player (way back...) in which he said "I am formally self-taught."
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I am pretty sure flea was classically trained on the upright.. I read that somewhere i believe
  12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    In the August 2002 issue of Bass Player, Flea states that he was classically trained on trumpet, but is only now getting into taking theory lessons so he can learn to play jazz on upright.
  13. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Oh ok. thanks for clearing that up for me Diff :D
  14. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Justin Chancellor of Tool for one, and I think Dirk Lance from Incubus also taught himself.
  15. First of all, your thread title indicates you want the names of famous bassists who are self-taught. 'Famous' does not mean they are technically proficient at their instrument or that they play decent, meaningful music, so I am not sure why anyone would care which '"famous" people taught themselves.
    I love Colonel Claypool as much as the next guy, and maybe even more, but come on. He plays sloppy and some of his soloing live is just slapping fast for the sake of slapping fast- it doesn't always fit in. I'll give him credit for doing all of this while singing; that can't be easy. I like his music and think he's good at what he does, but calling him a "bass god" is just silly.

EDIT: Oh, and word to Ed. Everything he said.
  16. I wish I was sloppy like Les Claypool.
  17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Me to.....i'm so depressed. and he does not think he is very good. he's more "diffrent" than anything.
  18. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Well, I don't know how you are defining "famous bass players", but my guess is that most famous bass players have played in bands and did not become famous by playing as purely soloists the entire time. Secondly, they became famous by recording and playing live gigs.

Now if the famous bass player has ever played in a band or recorded in a pro studio, he has been exposed to other musicians or a studio producer. Even if he never had formal training with a teacher, I am certain the famous bass player had input from the musicians in his band or the producer in the studio.

I mean by this, if his timing sucked, he heard about it from the drummer or other band mates. If his bass lines were inadequate or boring, he heard about it from the others. Thus he had informal instruction at the very least. Other musicians have pointed out to him where he needed improvement or what he was doing particularly well.

So to get famous and stay famous, he most likely had instruction here and there, though it may not be formal as in the sense of college or one-on-one with a teacher for an extended period of time.

Yes, some "famous" bass players are not well known for their skill. We often have threads here naming "over rated" bass players. Fieldy usually comes out on top of this list, but Duff McKagan is there and some other regulars. Just being famous may not mean you are good. It would be nice to be a famous bass player, but I would feel quite uncomfortable if I were famous, but received the kind of criticism Fieldy often gets here.

Let me add, we have a well-known bass player here whose name is Xavier G. He is self taught, but he is a very bright and gifted player. If you choose to be self taught, you must have the dedication, self-discipline, sacrifce and smarts of some one like Xavier G. Anything less and you will just not cut it. You will never even be in a class with Les Claypool or Fieldy...not even close.