Famous Bassist who know you!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pyrohr, Jan 20, 2003.

1. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Let's see some of those personnal pics of famous bass players that know you!
    This pic is of Steeley Dan Bassist and musical Director Tom Barney and former bassist for saturday nite live, Childhood friend in town to be at oldtimers day where we grew up. He also grew up with Marcus Miller in the 70's, something he told me I had not known.
  2. TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    I e-mail the bass player for the Ky headhunters, Anthony Keeney back and forth! He's one underated bass player!
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I know Dann Glenn and we trade e-mails fairly often. He's a cool guy, and a great bassist.
  4. OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    I wish I knew either of those guys.

My Dad played for the Blenders, not the one that was on SNL or whatever when I searched for them online a while back. Local Christian band around here. He's really good :)
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Somewhere around the house I have an old picture of me and Dave Larue - don't really "know" him, just opened up for him a few dates when he was with Steve Morse around '89 or '90. He was playing my Kubicki Factor (hated it, IIRC . . . )
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You'll never believe this, but I talked to Mike Watt of the Minutemen/fIREHOSE/etc not that long ago! :eek:
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'll bet Paul Mccartney knows who I am....but I have only met him once. Victor Wooten knows me...but thats just cause I've had him sign the same hat 3 times(and plan on a 4th this friday) so he took the hint :D
    marshall hawkins knows me,and while no one knows him...he's a bass god and jazz legend.
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've met and hung out with famous bassists, and have even chatted with Stu on the phone. I also email Freddie Thompson (UK) occaissionally, but the only one I'd say that I know well, would be Adam Nitti.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've known Scott Ambush for about twenty years. I'd also count Sugarbear from EU as a friend. I know a lot of players, like Gary Grainger and Anthony Wellington and they know me;)
  10. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    The only famous bass players I know are you guys !

Seriously, I do not know <B> any </b> bassists.

I tend to hang more with horn players.
  11. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I know Gard, but only through Talkbass.

Oh, and I met Al Sharpton once in the men's room at LaGuardia Airport. 'Cept he's not a bassplayer.
  12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That's funny. I ALSO met Al Sharpton in a mens room in St. Thomas airport. Taking a leak at the urinal, he steps up to the one next to me, says "hey."

Of course, I never shook his hand . . .
  13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Is Michael Davis from the MC5. He and former (Iggy) Stooges guitarist ron Ashton used to rehearse at a house we rented in Ann Arbor.

Lots of funny gig stories, and ALOT of BEER!
  14. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I got Herbie Hancock to sign my copy of Thrust
  15. Jeff Doe

Jeff Doe Guest

Jan 11, 2003
    Dale Titus. I took lessons from him and still keep in touch. A hell of a guy.

Jeff Doe
  16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Dale Titus AND Beaver Felton. Some friend I am! I guess it depends on one's defintion of fame. Khari Simmons (India.Arie) and Dwayne Moore (Floetry) are good friends of mine, but me being so close to them, I don't see them as famous.
  17. exchanged e-mails with benny reitveld - does that count? surprised he answered my questions on what he used to get his happenin' tone on the Supernatural album
  18. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I met Patrick Dahlheimer from Live a few years ago and told him about a website I made for him. Since then we exchange emails and talk online (i enjoy our bass conversations) and he helps me with the site. And I've gotten to see Live 4 times in the year 2002 thanks to him! :)

This is me and Patrick after a Live show in November, 2001
  19. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Almost forgot, Jonathan Maron (Groove Collective & MeShell) and I are also friends.