Famous Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CRONOS, Jul 22, 2008.

1. We ran into Steve Harris at a football match in England. The family friend who got me into bass and I both ran over and got pictures =O

2. IPS

IPS Guest

Probably the most famous bassist ive met would be Geezer Butler from sabbath. Easily one of the coolest famous musicians ive met, funny guy, I told him me meeting him was like him meeting Jack Bruce right when he started bass, and he really appreciated that and talked to me for a good 15 minutes. I met the rest of heaven and hell that day too ( Tony Iommi, Ronny James Dio, and Vinny Appice.

As far as other famous musicians ive met recently, I met judas priest and testament a few moths ago and my girfriend recently met ozzy...and was told that she had the biggest perkiest natural breasts ever by zakk wylde.

3. Willy2911

Willy2911 Guest

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    Not all bassists
    Darrell Abbott (DIAMOND/DIMEBAG) RIP DIME - I got to meet VINNY AND PHIL _ BUT NO REX ***???
    OZZY
    Dave Mustaine
    James Lomenzo
    James "LYNN" Strait (SNOT)RIP LYNN
    Tommy Shaw
    Richie Sambora
    collective soul
    The Drifters
    TOMMY CHONG
    ALICE IN CHAINS-RIP LAYNE

4. undeadbass

undeadbass Guest

Jun 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    I've met/hung out with/become friends with countless bassists in the metal/black metal/death metal scenes that not a lot of people know about... but fans of the genre flip for - one of my closest friends is the bassist for Pyrexia, another good friend played for Internal Bleeding, Catastrophic, and Vital Remains, I've chilled with the guys from Suffocation many times, and I won't even go into bassists I've met randomly. And I'm sure I'm forgetting others as well.

Outside of that, my old mentor was Bakithi Kumalo.
    I've taken lessons with Trevor Dunn.
    I've subbed for Randy Coven (cover band stuff, but still, a sub's a sub).
    My step-dad is somewhat well known in the studio circles (Stephen Palmer).

So yeah. A bunch.

5. xxDavidxx

xxDavidxx Guest

Aug 16, 2008
    Leiden, Netherlands
    talked to michael manring :D

6. I had a brief conversation with Abraham Laboriel. Abe is gracious and humble and was ashamed to tell me he had around 90 bass guitars.

I also met Sheila E, who was Abes drummer for the clinic I went to. She was sweet and still smokin hot at nearly 50. Awesome drummer too - very under rated.

7. JQ1986

JQ1986

Oct 30, 2008
    Rice Lake, WI
    I met the new bassist for Psychostick last year when his old band (Indorphine) were on tour with Psychostick. Really nice and funny guy. The other guys in Psychostick were pretty cool and funny too.

8. NickBass81

NickBass81 Guest

Jul 4, 2008
    Rovigo(Italy)
    Endorsing Bulkmusic Strings
    When I went to their clinics I had really brief talks with Rocco Prestia and Billy Sheenan..both very nice guys...Billy is a bit shy...Rocco is one who likes to have a good laugh, he even didn't know he had made the interview I gave him to sign!!!!
    I had a couple of conversation with a bassist who's very famous here in Italy, Faso (Nicola Fasani) with the band Elio E Le Storie Tese...awesome player and super nice guy!
    This is not a bassist, but I had a brief and very pleasant talk with master drummer Dom Famularo, a very nice and polite man!

9. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    Justin Chancellor (Tool)
    Pete Steele (Type O Negative)
    bass player from Bush (along with Nigel Pulsford)
    Nick Oliveri (for like a minute)
    Stu Hamm (twice)
    Christian Olde Wolbers (Fear Factory)

other musicians i've met/hung out with

All of Sikth
    All of Cave In
    Drank and shot pool with Chad Smith
    Taylor Hawkins passed me a joint.
    Joey Castillo
    Devin Townsend and Gene Hoglan (both gents!)
    The rest of fear factory (dino gave me a tour of his gear)
    Jared Leto
    Rick Allen (def leppard)
    Mark Richardson (Feeder/Skunk Anansie)
    Adam Jones (Tool)
    Joe Satriani (twice)
    Steve Vai

thats all i can remember for now.