Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Famous blues bass player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ((ZASDER)), Oct 29, 2005.

1. ((ZASDER))

((ZASDER))

Feb 26, 2005
    Buffalo NY
    I have to do a blues project for guitar class. Since I play bass I want to do it on a famous blues bass player.

Can you guys tell me some names of famous blues players?

2. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Willie Dixon

3. Phil Lesh(Grateful Dead)
    Jack Bruce(Creme)
    Noel Redding(Jimi Hendrix Expierience)
    Geezer Butler(Black Sabbath[Sabbath was orginally a blues band])
    and i want to say Jack Casady(Jefferson Airplane/Hot Tuna) but that may be a bit more rock and roll as with Redding. Then again, early rock and roll was just the blues being expiermented with just like all new music genres are born :D

4. John Paul Jones!

5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Tommy Shannon.

6. +1
    If you're looking a blues bassist for your project he is the grand daddy of them all.

I wouldn't consider any of the others mentioned only because they simply did not get notoriety as a "blues bassist" Sure any one of them can play the blues, but just not a good choice for your topic. You could mention how Willie Dixon has influenced their playing. Zeppelin and some others have recorded some Willie Dixon tunes.

Of course there is always Tommy Shannon from Stevie Ray Vaughan.

One of my favorite bassist, Jerry Jemmott. He has worked with B.B. King.

7. I don't know nothing about Dixon, but i really like Jerry Jamontt (He was so much groove) and John Paul Jones.

8. Willie Dixon wrote "I just want to make love to you"
    it was performed by Muddy Waters.

Then covered by:
    The Kinks
    Yardbirds
    Grateful Dead
    Foghat
    Rolling Stones and
    Van Morrison.

Led Zeppelin did
    You Shook me
    I can't quit you baby
    Bring it on home
    Even "Whole lottla love" had some of Willie's "You need love" in it.

He is probably the most covered blues artist ever. You may not know who he is, but I'm sure you have heard his music.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Willy Dixon is considered(and rightfully so)a blues institution in Blues music,not only an original and talented bass player but a producer and songwriter with 1000's of songs to his credit).he's also had songs covered by the stones as well.a few other modern Blues bassist would include definately as mentioned Tommy Shannon,Johnny B. Gayden(Albert Collins) and David Bisquit Miller(Lonnie Brooks now Anthony Gomes).

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Willie Dixon was the first name to come to mind.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

When I was 17-18 before he moved to Cali I would spend some serious time with him and he use to break it down about the history of the blues and music in general and he was no Punk about it.at the time of his death he was owed millions of dollars(by some very rich and famous artist who had covered some of his songs and attempted to not rightfully pay him)that his family had to go to court and fight for and eventually win.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    :rollno:

No offense....but please don't do a paper on the blues with the above list. :bag: :ninja:

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Originally Posted by FretlessFreak
    Phil Lesh(Grateful Dead)
    Jack Bruce(Creme)
    Noel Redding(Jimi Hendrix Expierience)
    Geezer Butler(Black Sabbath[Sabbath was orginally a blues band])
    and i want to say Jack Casady(Jefferson Airplane/Hot Tuna) but that may be a bit more rock and roll as with Redding. Then again, early rock and roll was just the blues being expiermented with just like all new music genres are born

I aggree with Jerry

14. From what I understand, Willie did suit Zeppelin with copyright infringement over Whole lotta Love. It was settled out of court and Willie got a generous settlement. I'm sure it was only a fraction of what he deserved considering all the rock acts that covered his material. The same can be said for Robert Johnson.

+10
    You will surley get an "F"

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I was just about to post about Willie Dixon and Tommy Shannon as being two of my favorite blues bassists and biggest influences that I pull from when I'm on a blues gig....

very cool story Jauqo, he is definitely one of the legends!

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

His wife and kids got the money(and wha they got was a very very very large check,but still a fraction of what he deserved).

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    True but it's hard to pay royalties to someone who's dead and has no known heirs. Besides, isn't all of Robert Johnson's music public domain now? I could be mistaken, but I thought his copyrights expired a long time ago.

18. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Roscoe Beck for sure, he has quite an extensive list of credits.

19. Yeah, I know you are correct. I guess the only comparison was that he was another blues musician that was covered heavily by 60' and 70's rock bands. If he hadn't died so young, he would have been in the same boat as Willie Dixon as far as copyright infringement is concerned.

His songs may very well be public domain by now, I got the box set that Columbia put out, but that was released back in 1990.

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Jarome Arnold-Paul Butterfield Band
    Keith Fergason- Fab. Tunderbirds
    Larry Taylor-Canned Heat, Hollywood Fats.
    Freebo- Bonnie Raitt.
    Rance Knowling- upright .