Famous Chicago Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by debasser!, Feb 10, 2009.

1. debasser!

debasser!

Sep 21, 2008
    Is there anyone obvious missing from this list of famous Chicago bassists?

Malaki Favors, Milt Hinton (from age 11), Wilbur Ware, Eddie Calhoun (raised)

In my head I thought there were more, but rather than search every famous bass players website, I thought someone out there might put me straight quickly!

I am aware there are probably hundreds of fantastic Chicago bass players, but those of us over here in Europe aren't going to come across most of them, so I'm referring to big name players for want of a better term! I really thought google search for chicago jazz bassists and variations would do it, but no!

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Define famous. Are you looking for old dead guys?

Of the living there are so many great players in this city...Eric Hochberg, Michael Arnopol, Larry Gray, Harrison Bankhead, Marlene Rosenberg, Dan Shapera, John Whitfield, Jimmy Willis, Kelly Sill, and many more. They have a resume a mile long of the people they have played with.

That's just some of the guys that have been around for a while. There are so many great younger players too. I feel very fortunate to be able work in this city and be in the professional company of so many killin' players.

bassfran likes this.
  3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Willie Dixon might be the most famous.
    Truck Parham played with Earl Hines' and Jimmie Lunceford's Orchestras.
    Bob Cranshaw is originally from here as is Stafford James.
    Eldee Young with the original Ramsey Lewis Trio and
    Cleveland Eaton, with Ramsey and Basie.
    Rufus Reid spent the early years of his career here as a Northwestern Student and professional about town, working regularly at the Jazz Showcase.
    Donald Rafael Garret played with Coltrane, Archie Shepp, Roland Kirk, AACM, Sun Ra.
    Johnny Frigo, known today more as a violinist, was the king of the studio bassists in the 50's-70's.
    Eddie de Haas has played with many greats over the years, including Miles.
    Richard Evans, known more as a producer/arranger, but is a fine bassist.
    Fred Hopkins was a member of Air and other AACM groups and toured the world.
    Steve Rodby has toured with the Pat Metheny Group for almost 30 years.
    Jim Cammack, with Ahmad Jamal lived here.
    Reggie Willis and Yosef Ben Israel play with many AACM groups.
    Both Todd Coolman and Steve LaSpina spent their early years here before moving to NY.

On the slab side, Billy Dickens lives here. Munch is from here as is Richie Patterson (both played with Miles) Phil Upchurch is also a fine bassist as was Louis Satterfield (Chess Studios, Electric Mud and Wolf and Tbonist with EWF). As Marc said, define famous.

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Daryl Jones on the Slab side too. A Miles alum.

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    That's Munch...sorry about that.

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Oops. I'm not to bright sometimes.

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    You too, huh? I couldn't think of his real name when I posted...

8. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    btw I just picked up Rich Corpolongo's records Smiles and Just Found Joy. Both are superb. Great stuff!!!

9. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks, Marc. I'm real proud of those. Rich should be better known.

10. Dig Wilbur Ware

Dig Wilbur Ware

Mar 7, 2003
    Ronnie Boykins
    Victor Sproles
    Israel Crosby

that's just too heavy, right there. I can't even type anymore!

damonsmith likes this.
  11. Don't forget Richard Davis....

12. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008
    Bugsy Maugh from Paul Buttersfield, he's from Nebraska but went to Chi Town to get semi famous.

oldNewbie likes this.
  13. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    A personal favorite of mine, along with that great band. I don't know if he ever lived in Chitown, though.

14. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008
    Yup, he lived there for a good part of the late 60's. Then went to Calif. where he toured live with Big Brother, janis, the cut a couplke of solo albums and some stuff with Todd Rundgren. Last I heard he lives in St. Jo Missouri

15. debasser!

debasser!

Sep 21, 2008
    Thanks guys, that's fantastic.
    I won't bother defining famous, it's too difficult, and I'll upset somebody no doubt!

I was looking for in particular the older players, Bob Cranshaw, Richard Davis types. I was hoping my initial post would describe what I was looking for ie: an extension of the 4 I had already listed.

But you guys gave me even more! Willie Dixon, he's too big to miss out!
    I'm just listing a few of the more famous guys in this project I'm doing, so I suppose yes, old dead guys may have been a better description. Thanks again. Chicago sounds like a nice place for a bass player to be!

Damian

16. Hoover

Hoover Inactive

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Does Kent Kessler count as "famous"?

damonsmith likes this.
  17. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    Eldee Young!!

18. Brian Smith and Leonard Jones are two great players that show up on some AACM lps.

oliebrice likes this.
  19. corrynthia

corrynthia

Oct 14, 2008
    south jersey
    terry kath, peter cetera, jason scheff

sorry, i just HAD to do it.

going back over to the sarcastic club now.....

20. He should! He is a nice guy, and I have always loved his playing, it has a nice character to it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021