Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Famous Encounters & momentos?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, May 26, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Who is the most famous person you have run into, and if you have, do you have anything to proove it? any autographs, any gear from a gig?

The most famous encounter ive ever had was with Maynard and Twiggy after my APC gig. i was walking around the back of the gig, and there were these 2 doors open. i walked past, and saw maynard standing there with twiggy. funly enough, there was no one else around accept a few security guards. maynard saw me there, and said 'hey man, whats up' i had my ticket in my hand, and he took it, chucked his autopgraph on there and pasted it onto twiggy, who looked like he had just had a dose of ever drug under the sun. anyway maynard saw a load of people running, gave me the ticket, and closed the doors. everyone hated me from then on :D

i also have the APC set list. i have plectrums from the Murderdolls and a Muderdolls set list with burbon on it, Christians plectrem from their Fear Factory gig at the Big Day Out, i have a pacifier/shihad drum stick, bodyjar and antiskeptic pick, a strung out drum stick my strung out ticket signed by the drummer.

anyone else?

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I used to be a bouncer at the Montreal Forum back in the 70's. I met:

Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Aerosmith
    Ted Nugent
    Kenny Loggins (jammed with his guitarist on the bass players newly bought Ernie Ball Earthwood Bass)
    Kiss

Opened for Hot Chocolate three years ago.

Sat next to Steve Vai in the Virgin Atlantic Business Class lounge in San Francisco about 8 years ago.

MC Hammer sat across the isle from me on a Vancouver-LAX flight.

Sat next to Rick Sheppard last year on a Delta flight between Atlanta and LAX. Rick is Dallas Austin's partner. Very nice guy. He and Dallas charge $125,000 a song for their work. He was heading back to LAX to do a recording with Stevie Nicks.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    A year or two ago, I went to see Victor Wooten in SF. Barely five minutes iinto the show, Victor broke a string (it was the G). So the roadie handed him another bass in the middle of the tune (Vic never stopped playing) and got the stringless bass from Vic. It must happen a lot, because the switch was seamless.

Two or three minutes later, back came the roadie with the restrung bass and did the switch again. He then threw the broken string out into the front row of the audience in my general direction and I grabbed it.

So, I'm one of those guys who has a Victor Wooten G-string.;)

I also have a couple of letters Billy Sheehan sent me in the 90s for being a finalist twice in BP mag's BIT Scholarship competition. I finally met him and thanked him last saturday at a Yamaha event here in L.A.

At the same event, I met Michael Anthony and got an autographed picture.

Met Hermeto Pascoal four or five times over the years. Not a huge household name here in the U.S., especially since he was a Miles Davis collaborator. Got to make music with him at a seminar and got his and his son's autograph on one of his albums.

Opened for Dave Wakeling (The English Beat, General Public) in SF last year. No swag.

I'm sure this hardly counts, but Tony Levin bought a Sansamp pedal from me on eBay(!) and I still have that letter too.

4. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I met Sgt. Slaughter once, that's it :meh:

Oh and I got into a small yelling match with Steven Pearcy of Ratt, but that's another story.

5. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Well, being an old guy, I have been fortunate enough to play with some really famous guys and great acts,most of them all dead now.I have played with Persey Sledge on several occasions, and I have backed th Coasters,Platters,Drifters,The Marveletts,the Crystals,Andy Kim,Jimmy Clanton,The Crests,The Legends of Doo Wop,Tiny Tim,The Box Topps,The Hollies,Edwin Starr,The Flamingo's,Danny and the Juniors and many more I can't even remember.Like I said,all dead now.Hahaha.Sorry guys I couldn't resist.I have met other even more famous musicians and stars, but they wouldn't have any part of me on stage with them.

6. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey, my uncle was the drummer for the Box Topps for a while, I wonder if you played with him at all. Most people don't know who they are.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Met Geddy Lee and got my Moving Pictures tour program signed on the Exit Stage Left tour back in '81.

Was working on some windows (tinting them) at EPCOT in Orlando about '89-'90 when Pat Metheny walked by with his then girlfriend and what I'm guessing was their kid. Dropped everything, ran out and said "Hi!!!" to him. He was very gracious. I did not ask him for an autograph, and left him be very quickly, as it was obvious he was on vacation with his family. All I did was ask him when he was going to tour again, and if they were going to come through Orlando, as I had never seen him live and desperately wanted to.

I work with Dave LaRue & Beaver Felton, studied with Dave on and off for 4+ years.

I got to go and play in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico at Sammy Hagar's club (Cabo Wabo), met Sammy, jammed with Sammy, drank tequila with Sammy (required before going on stage!). Cool guy.

Just recently, the guys here at the shop all went to see Bela Fleck & The Flecktones, Vic came and hung out with us for about an hour and a half afterward. What a truly good person he is, on top of the most amazing bassist I've ever seen.

8. benjamin strange left a sweater at my apartment.

i ran into buzz from the melvins one day, literally bumped into him. got a bit of 'fro in my teeth.

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I ran into Billy Sheehan at a party in the Anahim Hilton back in January. It was a brief, but awesome expierence. Best part was, he approached me and shook my hand, not that I'm important, he's just a nice guy. I offered to buy him a drink too :D

I've also met Zakk Wylde a few times, Dimebag, Roscoe Beck, David Ellefson, and a few others that I forget now.

If I could meet Eric Clapton life would be great ;)

10. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I did monitors @ Billy Bob's Texas for 4 years in the early 80's. Did about a thousand shows and got to meet and work with some heroes. Highlights: Willie, Waylon, Jerry Jeff, all the Texas outlaw guys. Ray Charles, Cheap Trick, and a million others.

I also met Marcus Miller after his show here in Fort Worth on the M2 tour.

I quit playing bass the next morning :smug:

Fo

11. I caught a guitar pick that Dave Mustaine tossed into the audience after a Megadeth show in Columbus, Ohio in 1988. Caught a drumstick from Mike Portnoy at a Dream Theater show in Atlanta in '92. There were maybe 12 people there, it was amazing.