Famous EUB players/recordings

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by basss, Jul 28, 2005.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I can honestly say I don't know of any. Everyone either plays slab or doghouse. Enlighten me.
  2. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I guess I do have a Rob Wasserman CD. any others?
  3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Let me qualify the question by excluding Latin music bassits. I know those guys use EUB's alot.
  4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Eberhard Weber played cello, then acoustic upright, then switched to EUB in the '70s.
    Look for his recordings on ECM records.
    David Friesen plays both acoustic upright and EUB, but on most of his records (that I know), he plays mostly EUB.
    I think they are the most known EUB players.
  5. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    famous...hmm...stanley clark with stuart copeland in animal logic
    comes to mind...check out a philly group called Stinking Lizavetta
    if you can find it...amazing electric upright playing. two brothers
    in that band-yoni and alexi popadopalous. alexi plays eub bass
    amazing drumming, too...by a woman named cheshire.
    hensonbass likes this.
  6. bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    Tony Levin, on Peter Gabriel's "Secret World Live" DVD ,plays some smokin' EUB on a number of songs, most notably "Shaking the Tree"
  7. MarkRubin

MarkRubin F L T

Mar 14, 2005
    Austin TX
    EUBs, and especially ones that sound worth a damn, are relatively quite young in the world of recording.

The real truth is there's probably quite a few well known players who have recorded with them, it just didn't end up in the liner notes.
  8. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Gotta second Eberhard Weber--"The Colors of Chloe" is a great album, and I'm not even an EUB player. (Used to be, but I was considering it to be a sub for a DB instead of an instrument in its own right, and that's perhaps not the best way to approach EUB.)
  9. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Thanks! I'll check these guys out.
  10. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Bunny Brunel plays great EUB. The first time I ever saw one was on PBS about twenty years ago and Bunny was playing with Chick Corea. He sounded great.

Harvie Swartz played a some EUB in the 80s if I remember correctly. I'd see his albums on the wall at 39th Street music which was a great studio.
  11. Dharmabum

Jul 11, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I'd just like to second that. They're one of the most amazing, underappreciated groups out there and some of the nicest people I've shared a stage with. And who can't dig a bandname that's a Dostoyevsky reference?
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree, although I have a feeling he was playing DB on some of this?

I've got the ECM compilation of his work across the years, but I must say I prefer his work with the latest incarnation of the Jan Garbarek quartet - with Rainer Bruninghaus and Marilyn Mazur, whose drum/percussion work is always inspiring!

Rainer tends to go for orchestral backdrops, so Eberhard Weber, is like 2nd "featured soloist" in this band! :)

I really like his work on "RITES" - the last but one,album - although some tracks don't feature the band and the material really comes into its own, when you see them play it live ! :)
  13. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I don't think so.
    I think he's playing his modified Graciozo Arco (sp?) on one side, and Fender bass on the other. (I may be wrong of course!)
    There's some acoustic upright playing on Yellow Fields I think.
    (or is it Silent Feet?...) :)
  14. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Glen Moore played EUB on a couple of tunes at the Oregon show I saw recently. Not sure if he's done any recordings with it though.

As far as Weber sides, I'm partial to Pat Metheny's Watercolors, and the Solstice album.

Friresen has a series of live CDs with a great guitarist, Uwe Kropinski. Highly recommended. I had to buy them directly from Friesen, via one of his students. Direct email would presumably work as well.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

I think you are right and wrong !!:)

I just went back and had a look at my CD and listened to it again.

So, I was wrong as well - it's acoustic Cello , he plays on this (it says in the CD notes - ocarina as well!!) - and there is a big acoustic Cello section from a local Symphony Orchestra - there is of course, a lot of his distinctive solo EUB sound as well! :)

I do like this - but see it in the Classical/Prog. Rock category - whereas later stuff with Jan Garbarek is definitely more European Jazz....

Depends what you prefer, I suppose?
  16. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Could you recommend a side or two with Garbarek please? I stopped paying attention to Weber a while back I'm afraid. I saw him do a show with Garbarek that was definitely not jazz, but that 's another story.

When I was DJ'ing back in the fusion heyday, Weber would've been categorized as chamber jazz, along with Oregon, The Paul Winter Consort, and a few others. We just called it ECM jazz, for the most part. :cool:

Yellow Fields for one example certainly has a bit of prog rock feel to it, I'd say.The classical influence is obvious, of course. I love all the sides I've heard with Charlie Mariano, the stuff with Gary Burton, Ralph Towner and Metheny, but know little of the Garbarek sides. Name some names please.
  17. Bruce Lindfield

As I said above - I really like the Double CD : "RITES" - but it may be influenced by having seen them perform this material live - Marilyn Mazur is a very dynamic performer, who adds excitement to their live show and seeing where Weber is soloing and where he is doubling the head or interacting with Garbarek helps an appreciation of the music IMO :)

It does have a lot of tracks which aren't Jazz and more of the through-composed stuff - so maybe "12 Moons" is a better recommendation...until they release a live quartet album!! ;)
  18. breezy

Aug 3, 2005
    les claypool from primus uses an EUB. on the latest albums. it looks like a sort of dean edge type deal, but im really not sure.
  19. mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Les now plays an NS Design EUB but has also played an EUB custom designed and made by Dan Maloney, who also used it as a model for the later Zeta Fusion series EUBs.

And Les originally had a no-name shortscale EUB that he found in a pawnshop around 1990.
  20. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I don't consider myself famous, but I played a Clevinger on these three records -

and on this DVD -

The first record was done in '86... :D