Famous players basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kcm, Mar 28, 2001.

1. kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Do you own or have played a famous players bass.....

This is me with one of Mark Kings' 1st Jaydees...0003 that he let me play at the Jazz Cafe last year

Look at the damage he inflicted!!

What ya got??

By the way I dont have hair just down one side, its a wandering ponytail!!
  2. kcm,
    My recently acquired Sadowsky (icon under my name) came from Wayne Stobbart of Simply Red, and I once had a '66 P Bass that belonged to Phil Lynott which I sold a couple of years ago. (Not the famous black/mirror scratch plate one.)
    Also possibly, that Status that Nick had from me at the weekend could have been Mark King's, (as you mentioned yesterday.)

I did however buy the basses because I liked them, and not because who they belonged to.
    In the case of Phil Lynot’s P bass, I had written documentation that it was his, but it still took months to sell, at a less than normal price for a ’66 P.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Well... my Yamaha TRB-5 was previously owned (and beaten up by) the bass player in the Swedish biker-band Kenneth and the Knutters. Believe me, you've never heard of them. Their bass player is not famous even in my country, but at least he's signed...

No, that wasn't why I bought the bass. :p
  4. I've played all of JT's basses. Does that count?
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

me too!
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Scott Ambush, Gary Willis, Sugarbear from EU ("Da Butt"), David Dyson and...

I've personally played every bass ever owned by Brad Johnson, a legend in his own mind;)
  7. i've played bill dickens' custom conk 7. not well, mind you. it was a lot lighter than i expected. :cool:
  8. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX

may i inquire as to how much you got for it? a "phil" bass is the only bass i would consider buying because of who previously owned it, even if it was the black bc rich warlock he played in the "do anything you wanna do" video :D

I have some live footage of him from about 71 live on stage with a sunburst jazz...what blew me away was that he was playing with his fingers...wiggy
  9. My F bass used to be owned by Alain Caron, so I've been told. Frankly, I don't give much a **** because it doesn't make it sound any better... or worse.
  10. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I once had the chance to buy a P-Bass signed by Dee Dee Ramone.

But they wouldn't knock the price down far enough -- I figured the signature substantially decreased the value.

11. Phil was also one of my idols back then.

I paid £800 for this ’66 P in ’92, Advertised it in ’98 for £850 but it didn’t even get a bite.
    After 5 months of advertising and reducing the price on each ad, I finally got £700 from the first guy to see it. ($985)
    Wish I had kept it now, but I was going though bad times back then. (Ex-wife trying to crucify me)

To be honest, there was nothing really special about this bass, and it did not play or sound as good as my ’74 P.
  12. not only did i play joe osborn's original jazz bass, but i did some repairs to the electronics on it. this is the bass that he played on over 250 top 40 rock and country hits through the 50's, 60's and 70's. it should be in the rock and roll hall of fame.

other basses i've worked on and played

jerry scheff
    jason scheff
    bob glaub
    rhonda smith
    greg rzab (black crowes)
    jason newsted ( ithink he hass like 2000 basses, he has so many, he has to bar code them for inventory/insurance purposes)
    keanu reeves
    bob birch (elton john's bassist)
    willie weeks

and more
  13. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'm a HUGE Stanley Clarke fan and I've always liked Alembic basses, so, when Stanley was liquidating a lot of his equipment......
  14. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I played one of Jeff Berlins' signature series basses, it was great! Low action, amazing playability.
  15. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    My beloved Epiphone Embassy was once part of Tom Petersson's collection (kinda like one of Jason Newsted's?!?!?). The funny thing was that it was also owned by several famed local players in Chicago before I locked it up. One was Jon Brandt (who replaced Petersson in Cheap Trick), and Dave Angel of The Boyzz (that one's for you, Herm!).
  16. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I recently bought Mike Porcaros Kramer/Ripley 5 String Jazz Bass from him.
    I know it doesn't make a bass sound/play better if it was owned by a celebrity, but since Mike's in my top 5 bass players, it's got it's own cool vibe because of that...It's my main bass now.
  17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  18. NO!! That's a famous bassist playing YOUR bass! :p :D

Stanley thinking:
    "I only need 4 strings..." :p
  19. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    WOW, you got to touch Keanu Reeves bass? I envy you man... ;)

Seriously, that's a pretty cool list (even with Keanu on it, whom I'm sure is a decent human being and all that -- just not crazy about his movies).

What's your day gig?
  20. kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    JT that is way cool!!