1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Famous Recording with a cheap bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass-desires, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Hey Yall,

Can you experts out there tell me what famous or well known records were done on a cheap bass? Have there been many?? As a poor working man I want to know my $200 bass can put out some good music. Seems most people either have to have a Fender, or a $1000 rig to make good music these days.....can we dispel the myth?

2. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I think Cream- 'Disreali Gears' was done with a Danelectro longhorn. Cheap even back then!

3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Every Beatles recording prior to Paul getting the Rickenbacker.

Experts could tell you exactly when that was, but my (guess) estimate would be anything before 1967.

4. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Garry Tallent from Springsteens band played a Danelectro Longhorn if I'm remembering correctly as well.

5. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    But I wasn't alive back then....haha

6. Dark Star

Dark Star

Jun 18, 2008
    CT, RI, NC
    Didn't Geddy Lee use a P bass on the first Rush album?

I don't know if you would call that a cheap bass, but it's cheaper than his Rickenbacker.

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Neither was I, but that doesn't change the facts.
    Pauls Hoffner was a cheapie back in the day.

8. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    I guess when I say cheap, I mean really cheap. Like $500 and under. Hell $300 is cheap

9. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Can you hear a $1000 difference or is it in the feel of the bass?

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    NRBQ. Joey Spampanato played a cheapo Sears/ Danelectro for a long time.

Check out the Chuck Berry "Hail Hail Rock & Roll" documentary.

Joey's playing a Danelctro Longhorn backing up all the heavyweights in that film.

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

Short answer:
    It's got far more to do with the person playing the bass, than the pricetag on it.

12. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Bass..

Most of the sound is in the player and string selection..

Cheap basses.. many nashville recordings are Peavey Foundations and T-40s.. both were between 200-300 new...

Bass is all in the setup (don't tell my $$$$ botique stuff)

Tim

13. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Yeah I agree, the sound is mostly in the bassist. It is true, you can have a $3000 bass, and play terribly. It would be interesting to know what a great player can do with a cheap bass.

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

Looks to me like you've been given a good list of stuff to listen to all done with basses that were DIRT CHEAP at the time they were new.

A Danelectro or Harmony is about the equivilant of a moddern SX or Squier.

McCartney's Hoffner. Probably about the equivilent of a Made In Mexico Fender in modern terms.

15. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    He played that since before they got big, and I'm glad to see someone spell his first AND last name correctly.

16. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I remember reading the KC and the Sunshine Band stuff was recorded with a Fender Mustang Bass. "That's the Way, uh huh uh huh, I Like It, uh huh uh huh..."

17. The Ox's solo on "My Generation" was done on an inexpensive Danelectro longhorn strung with LaBella nylon tapes

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Didn't Bill Wyman use some sort of defretted cheapo short scale Framus on the older Rolling Stones stuff, and later a Fender Mustang Bass? (budget Fender of it's day)

19. the engine

the engine Guest

I read somewhere that the Bill Wyman bass was a "no name" that he paid =to $69 for back in the day.

20. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Any modern examples?