Famous self-taught bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by walkinglines30, Jan 30, 2004.

1. walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    Any famous self-taught bassists out there? I think John PAul Jones and Flea taught themselves, but im not positive. Any others for sure?
  2. I know for a fact flea did not teach himself,I've heard his father was a musician also and there would always be one of his friends teaching him something. :meh:
  3. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Keith Horne is a brilliant player who is, for the most part, self taught.

4. kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    Billy Sheehan
  5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'm pretty sure about these two:

Jaco Pastorius
    John Myung

These I am less certain about:

Jeff Berlin
    Mike Watt
  6. I don't think anyone is "self" taught...I mean,you gotta learn from someone or something.

Just from reading these forums you're learning w/ something.

I think what you're trying to say is Who hasnt had personal lessons thats famous or soemthing? :confused:
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ryan Martinie never took any lessons.
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I never took any, oh wait, you said "famous". :D
  9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I'm going to assume self taught means you kind of figure things out yourself and do your own thing.

In that case then me, and since a suck balls, i heard claypool taught himself.
  10. Didn´t John Myung go to Berkley?
  11. yep. and jaco said his dad taught him some stuff.
  12. KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Ryan was in jazz band in HS.
  13. I think Jaco took lessons with Will Lee's dad or something. Les Claypool took upright lessons in high school.
  14. XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003

he started bass at age 10, when his neighbor offered him a spot in a band, he did teach himself bass, it was later taht he went to burkly. before bass, he was taught to play violin.
  15. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    p-nut from 311 is self-taught
  16. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    What do you mean by 'self taught'? Some people seem to think that self taught people have never heard or read about anything music-related and have never seen anyone else play.

In my opinion you are self taught if you have never taken a bass lesson. Like me. Mark King and Mick Karn are self taught.
  17. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    To some degree, everyone is self taught. You have to figure it out for yourself at some poiny even if you are taking lessons. That's what developing your own style is all about.
  18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Paul McCartney never took any formal lessons and he's kind of famous.;)

I assume by "self taught" you mean little or no formal lessons. I took lessons for a couple months when I first started playing and I use that little foundation for everything I play.
  19. Yeah well, I've had one or two lessons. So I guess I'm pretty self-thaught. But then again, I'm not famous...yet. :D
  20. This seems to be a nice subject for a poll!!!