Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Famous upright to electric players?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by bassmonkeee, Feb 10, 2003.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm sitting here listening to Ray Brown play electric bass on Quincey Jones' big band version of "Walking in Space" from "Hair." This is the only time I've heard Ray on electric, and it's pretty amazing to hear him on the plank--I assume it's a PBass, but I'm not sure. Still sounds like Ray, though.

I've also heard some rare occasions when Ron Carter played electric.

Now, I know Ray Brown and Ron Carter didn't give up upright for electric, but, besides Steve Swallow, are there many famous jazz players who went from upright to electric and stayed there?

I'm aware of Monk Montgomery playing with Lionel Hampton, and I know Bob Crenshaw plays electric with Sonny Rollins.

And, I also have a DVD with Herbie Hancock, Pat Metheny, Jack DeJohnette and Dave Holland where Dave switches between upright and a Peavey 4 string.

I'm just looking for some older examples if there are any, to hear the differences in their styles on the two.

Oh, I guess there was also that guy Jamerson at Motown. He seemed to have some success on electric after a great career on upright. :D

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I know that Tony Levin began as an upright player, and I think Jack Bruce may have done the same.

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I believe sting started on double bass

AJ

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well the two obvious ones are Stanley Clarke and John Patitucci. Both have even designed Bass guitars! Stanley Clarke's DB playing on "Light as a Feather" is really stunning and I hear he's actually going back to more DB now!!

5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I can't believe I didn't think of these two.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Steve Bailey and Mark Fain.

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    There's a tale that suggests thay Eddie Gomez left Steps Ahead when he was asked to play some slab (he refused). Kinda trying to hear in my head what EG on EB would sound like.

8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If that's true, then he must have had an unhappy experience prior to that. I've got quite a few tracks of Eddie Gomez playing slab with Bill Evans. There are 6 duets on "Piano Player" that were recorded in 1970.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Steve Swallow.

10. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    In the Quincy Troupe Miles biography, Miles cites the fact that R.C. wouldn't quit double bass for electric as the main reason he ended up with a new bass player.

11. Bruce Lindfield

The original post said :

"but, besides Steve Swallow, are there many famous jazz players who went from upright to electric and stayed there? " ;)

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I should have added a smiley.

I can't think of any besides him, and most of the people identified either didn't have much of a career on the DB before making their name, or still double on both instruments.

13. Hub from the Roots started on DB. I think he still plays it on some recordings but he has switched to electric bass guitar for live performances and most recording.

14. Harvie S (Swartz)

Bob Cranshaw (whose sound I can't stand)

15. Hmm. To each their own--I like Cranshaw's tone on Sonny Rollins' Global Warming. Round but crisp.

16. That's fair.
    Part of it is that I just plain dislike the instrument in jazz.

17. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    James Jamerson. Personally I think he is worth mentioning since he hailed from the Detroit Jazz scene. His switch from DB to electric literally changed electric playing forever.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Did anybody read the original post? ;)

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    As Bruce points out, outside of Swallow I can't think of a single jazz guy who dropped the DB entirely for EBG. Plenty of doublers, sure...

20. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Doh! :oops:

My selective filters occasionally manage to miss the obvious.