Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Famous walking bass lines

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cliff em'All, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Cliff em'All

Cliff em'All

Sep 27, 2004
    Hey I donno if this is the place to post this or not but what are some famous walking bass lines? A friend of mine was playing one the other day and I asked him what it was ....he of course says he made it up :rolleyes: but i know for a fact he didnt because I dont know how many times Ive heard that exact bassline. Its on alot of commercials and stuff but I don't know the name of it :confused: Can anyone help me find out what it is lol

2. the most famous one i can think of is "in the mood" by glenn miller

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Miles Davis "Freddy Freeloader, Milestones, So What,Someday my Prince Will Come" Jaco Pastorious "The Chicken, Rockin in Rythm,The Dry Cleaner From Des Moines" Mark Egan w/Larry Coryell "Tricycles" You couldn't go wrong with any of these!!

4. Fever-peggy lee. Total classic walking bass

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Conaaaaaaaaaaan O briiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

6. Roberto

Roberto

Dec 24, 2004
    Appleknockers flophouse

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well that's the main point about walking bass lines, they are supposed to be made up on the spot, based on the chord changes - that's what all the great Jazz players have done, all their careers!!

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The point when Miles trumpet solo comes in on "So What" is one of the greatest examples of waking bass, ever!! :cool:

Milestones tends to stop walking in the bridge and play pedal points to contrast with the walking....

Jaco was great at walking - but he's most famous for not playing walking lines and inventing new ways of playing non-repetitive bass lines in Jazz! For me , the Chicken is a great example of a tune that is not a walking bass line - it's a lot funkier!! Same with "Dry Cleaner.." - it's a Blues, but funky!! ;)

9. Bruce is right, jazz is all about improv, especially in the bass. There are classics, but I look more to players than individual songs. I'm sure there's some jazz bass historians around here who would point out specific songs; you might try the Double Bass Forums. But here are some of my favorite jazz bassists (old school):

Charles Mingus
    Ray Brown
    George Mraz
    John Patittucci
    Paul Chambers

Just get some great jazz records (there are like a zillion of them) and listen, listen, listen. Then try and emulate; you eventually want to get to the point where you are innovating, not emulating. Be patient.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Moondance.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Do you (or does anyone at all) know who did the bass on the Michael Bublé version of this? Even if I didn't love the guy's voice, the arrangement, or the song in general, I'd listen to this song JUST for the bassline.

Agreed on Moondance. GREAT line.

There are a lot of really amazing old jazzers who are no longer around like Ray Brown, Paul Chambers, Scott LaFaro, et all. For more recent stuff, check out these two guys:

Christian McBride
    John Clayton

Now, John Clayton's been around for a while, but his stuff with Diana Krall is stunning -- her Live In Paris DVD has him with the band and there's a lot of really swinging tunes on it. Christian is, flat out, one of my favourite players. He's a technical monster, but he's got taste, time, and a wonderful sense of what goes where. I've never had a chance to experience his solo stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was hired to do full arrangements as well. He puts his basslines in so perfectly, that it just seems to naturally follow that he would extend that talent/knowledge/skill to another level. His tone and intonation are great. Soloing is fantastic. Check out his playing and walking on Jane Monheit - Honeysuckle Rose. The entire first chorus is bass and vocals, then the piano and drums join, then a half-chorus bass solo, half-chorus piano solo, and then another chorus with the full quartet. The bass solo is fantastic and his segué into the piano solo is unbelievable.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Impossible.
    Every walking bass line that can be played...has already been played.