Famous Warmoth players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Doctor, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I was having a ponder and was curious if anyone knew of any famous players that play or played anything at all by Warmoth...
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nobody I've ever heard of.
  3. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    We have a local well known pro who plays them Brian Newcombe who has played with canadian band Chilliwack plus done recordings for Celine Dion, 98 Degrees, and a slew of others, you can see his basses in the showcase section on the warmoth site.
  4. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    I'm nearly positive that some of Jeff Ament's earlier basses used Warmoth parts. More often bodies, paired up with graphite necks.
  5. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I thought they were moses necks... oh wait, maybe he did...
  6. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    You do know that Warmoth makes "OEM" necks and bodies for a number of well known 'boutique' makers? (not to mention YAMAHA) So probably a few people play Warmoth and are not even aware of it! :)

IMHO Warmoth are the best in the world at doing what they do. They really have a huge talent for carefully choosing really prime 'cuts' of wood to machine their creations out of. (Something a lot of the other CNC-guitar-makers just can't be bothered with ...)
  7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    They do Yamaha stuff? Good on them. They do a damn good job.
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  9. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    OH man! Athony is so cool! When I grow up I want to be just like him!
  10. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that George Porter Jr. had a backup bass built as a copy to his P that was made from Warmoth parts.
  11. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Think about it... if there were any, they'd say so on their site, I guess.
  12. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Anthony Valenti.

'nuff said. :hyper:

Edit - didn't read the replies... sorry, nino. :D
  13. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Matt Sharp, the former bassist for Weezer for their first couple albums, played two Fender bodied basses with Warmoth necks.

Also, Rivers from Weezer plays two Warmoth strat copies.
  14. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Hah HAH! That's the kind of thing I am looking for. Thanks.
  15. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Who's He? :confused:

Just playin', Nino! :D ;)
  16. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    Buddy Guy's bass player had us make a one-off replacement for his lakland because he thought our necks were more stable and road-worthy than theirs. I believe the George Porter Jr., and Weezer comments to be accurate.

Honestly, we get more call from Techs, so we hardly ever know when a player is using our stuff, unless they drop a name. And since we don't offer endorsements or free stuff for artists, hardly anyone bothers.
  17. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Didn't he once bite the head off an ostrich on stage, or something to that effect?

18. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Will Lee? :ninja: :bag: :ninja:

19. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It's been said before. We should listen with our ears, not our eyes. If it sounds good, it shouldn't matter if it's a Warmoth parts bass or some over-priced custom made, exotic wood thing.

I have "built" a number of basses with parts from various places. I have loved them. People told me they sounded great and looked nice, too.

It's a great feeling to do-it-yourself.
  20. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Yes I am aware and I agree with this but I was just curious... perhaps out of boredom... moreso because I beleive Warmoth parts to be of damn good quality by what I have heard and wondered why more people didn't use them that we know of.