Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fan blown on b2r- could there be any other problems, or time to upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smitcat, Dec 3, 2004.

1. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    Ive got an older model b2r. it only says b2 on it- im not sure if there is any difference on it, nor am i sure what year it is. but anyways. i noticed that my limit light wasn't coming on anymore, when it would at simmilar volumes. i got looking around the back, and noticed the fan stopped working. the only problem is- i dont know how long it hasn't been working. I have a case for it, so i couldn't tell you how hot it would get or anything. I also noticed that it started to pop through the speakers when i was playing w/ my fender jazz.
    Now im wondering if i should spend the money to get it fixed, or if there could be other possible damage to it. I was messing around w/ a couple other ampeg amps, and i have money for another b2r, but im wondering if i should spend the extra and upgrade to an svt-3pro. i know people have problems with them, but i know many others that don't. Any thoughts??
    -Mike

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    My instincts would tell me to upgrade, if you can afford the SVT-3PRO why the heck not? See if you can get it as part of Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa or what not. I routinely beg for musical gear, or financial aid for musical gear for my birthdays and Christmas, works like a charm :)

3. I agree with the comment about upgrading to the SVT-3PRO but if you're happy with how your b2r sounded then either pay to get it fixed or buy a newer b2r setup, however I would still recommend at least checking out the SVT-3PRO before making your decision.

4. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    well there are a couple factors going into the switch.
    I have an ibanez sr900tk on order, and can't wait to get. I am also saving up to move in march, and i don't want to spend all of the money that i have saved up so far on a new amp. I currently own a peavey cirrus and a fender jazz. I like the fender, but the cirrus usually ends up being my main bass... i just can't get over that cirrus tone. the fender gets to me sometimes when playing in a live setting. I usually practice on it more than anything else. so im thinkin maybe i will trade my fender in and put that towards it. I really dug the sound of the 3pro, and i think it will sound great with my ampeg svt4x10 and svt15.

5. I agree that it will sound great thru your current ampeg cabs. I would probably do the same and trade in the Fender to help get the 3pro so you don't spend all the money you've saved up to move out. Good luck with whatever it is you decide to do. :)

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    If it hasn't been shutting off, it won't have gotten too hot. Even if the fan does not run, the unit will shut off if it gets to troublesome temperatures, there is a temp sensor inside in the power amp section.

Dunno about the "popping" and light without more info.

Fans are easily replaced. Shouldn't cost much, if that is the issue. Doing that could buy you time to check out what you might want in future, and give time to save up funds as well.

The 3PRO is more power, although not a LOT more. On power alone, you might not see a difference.

But of course the preamp and power amp of the 3PRO are different from the B2, with tubes instead of without. That is a bigger difference than the straight power numbers.

7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I had the same problem on a used B2R (older w/ blue graphics). Cost me $20 to get it fixed locally. Never had the problem since. It is a good sounding head. The secret to it (IMO) is to crank the master and then control your volume with the pre...

Lync

8. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    mine is the same one. I am going to get it fixed locally, then just start saving up on the side to eventually get a nicer ampeg. Then i will keep this as a backup