1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fan Noise -- Eden, Carvin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbasswil, Jul 31, 2012.

1. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    I'm playing with a guitarist who has the widest dynamic range I've ever encountered: Everything from whisper-quiet mandolin, thru banjo, amplified acoustic guitar, right up to the loudest electric rock and blues.

I'd like to squeeze a bit more out of my fEARful 15/6 than my micro amp can deliver.

The cab can take almost 800 watts into 8 ohms. I tried bridging my Eden WT800 (usually racked for a different project).
    That's enough power. But when we stop between tunes, or he switches gears to much softer music, the fan in the Eden sounds like a 747 taking off!

No biggie; I usually use the Eden for a wedding band, where I don't push it hard enough to trigger the fan.

I've been looking at the Carvin BX1500 (loud, versatile, cheap) as a possible alternative for the guitarist's band.
    But now I've just noticed some posts in TalkBass complaining about the BX1500's fan noise!

Anybody have comments about the fan noise of either of these amps??

Thanks in advance.

2. The G-K MB800 is pretty quiet. Don't have anything to offer on the Carvin sorry.

3. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    You can always buy and install a quieter fan for the Eden...

4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    The Eden forum is a great place to get recommendations for quieter fans. All you need are the specs written on the existing fan (voltage, how much air it moves, whatever's written on there) and the techies at the Eden forum will hook you up with the quietest fans available.

5. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Fans can get really dirty & sometimes make noise.
    They suckup alot of dirt & dust & can wreck quick if not cleaned but it doesnt sound like you have that kind of problem.

6. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    esa and bob: That's awesome! It never occurred to me that fans were changeable, and that a variety were available. I will check out the Eden forums when I get a chance.

But offhand, who sells amplifier fans? Are they the same as computer fans?

Also: Any other comments on the Carvin's fan noise?

Thanks again.

7. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    You should hear the fan in an SVT CL.....lol.:eek:

8. yeah pretty much. You just need a fan that has the same dimensions, voltage, airflow spec. It's highly likely you'll pick something up for $20 that will be far quieter than the stock fan.

9. Fan noise? Everytime the band stops playing the guitarist thinks thats his que to go into a solo.

10. www.mouser.com www.digikey.com

11. I have 3 newer carvin heads(b2000,bx500,b1500) and have'nt noticed excessively loud fan noise.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Was going to mention mouser or other electronics supply type site.

Cooling fans have sets of specs. They're used in many things and your Eden will use one or more of those same fans.

Some specs are their dimensions/mounting, so it'll be a drop in replacement for your amp. Also cfm (how much air it can move). You'll need at least as much of that as your current one has. They also give decibel ratings, meaning how loud they run, lower is better.

Also power requirements. Many run on the straight wall A/C. Some may require DC from somewhere after the power supply.

Also stuff like the type of bearings used, etc. are indicators of quality/long term reliability.

Or just go to the Eden forum and find what somebody else has already figured out to be the best one.:smug:

13. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Great info, you guys, I really appreciate it. I love TB!

And that's good to know about your Carvins, cavedweller, thanks.

14. bklee

bklee Supporting Member

Installed in chassis.JPG New nuts.JPG New screws.JPG Wire finger protector.JPG Wire protector with cut-out grate.JPG
    I know this is an old thread, but anyone that has an Eden amp will be dealing with some noise from the fan. Since it is triggered by a sensor in the heat sink (it looks like, anyway), it will not come on unless the heat builds up through moderate to intense playing. The noise from the fan is intensified by the perforations in the cover that the fan blows through. I just improved the situation with my own Eden WT-300 by cutting out the perforations and installing a wire finger protector. For those interested I've broken down the process to simple steps with photos. First, cutting out the perforation area requires a tool that will cut metal with a minimum of fuss. I used a Dremel with a metal cut-off wheel. This tool is readily available, and it's likely that you have one yourself or know somebody that does. A word of caution: wear safety glasses and go slowly. Practice on the middle of the grate to get the hang of it. Once it is cut out, you can dress the sharp edges with a file or the edge of the cut-off wheel; not necessary but might prevent a nasty cut. You can cover the exposed metal with a little black paint or even a black sharpie. Don't cut too much. You want the fan to fit exactly into the space. Also, WASH the metal dust out with soap and water and dry thoroughly. You don't want any metal dust or fragments in you amp. The parts for this are available at electronics supply stores. You want an 80mm wire finger protector. See the pictures for the descriptions of these items. The screws that hold the fan on in its original configuration are going to be too short since the wire protector has some thickness to it. The screws don't have to be a great deal longer (again, see the picture). You may not be able to find the vinyl locknuts that were on the original, so I would suggest using BLUE Locktight (not red if you ever want to remove the nut again) or maybe a drop of crazy glue. Don't over-tighten the fan screws. Most of the housings for fans are plastic and can be deformed by over tightening, to the detriment of the fan's functionality. This whole process took about 30 minutes once I assembled all the parts. One more thing: notice the gap between the new edge on the chassis and the edge of the fan. That needs to be plugged with some cut-it-yourself gasket material or some such. Needless to say, this will negatively affect the value of the amp at the price of better functionality. Sorry to use functionality twice in the same paragraph.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  15. My BX 1500 is fairly quiet.
    I did notice the fan last week when I had it
    ideling and there ws no noise in the entire house.
    Even then, I had to bend over and listen to tell, for sure,
    that it was what I was hearing.