1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fan noise, Hartke, QSC, Crown etc.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MartinH, May 15, 2006.

1. MartinH

MartinH

Jan 29, 2006
    Netherlands
    Last weekend I played a Hartke 5500 and was 'surprised' by the fan noise. Now I'm thinking of buying a poweramp, for instance a QSC PLX-1602, or a Crown XLS602. Are they noisier than the Hartke?
    (maybe something for a poll, which amp has the most noisy fan?)

Martin
    The Netherlands

2. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Well, not one of the ones on your list, but I have Crest CA series stuff, and the fans are pretty much inaudible unless the amp heats up and needs them, then the noise is modest. Trust me when I tell you, if you heat it up enough to need the fans, there is no way in h**l that you will hear them . . . . And I suspect that other brands are similar - I don't think I have ever noticed fan noise from a Crown, but most of what I have touched has been the MacroTech series . . . .

- Tim

3. If you're concerned about it, the crown K series is completely passively cooled.

Edit: and will stand punishing sound levels while being baked in the sun on a stage.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I cant give you any insight re: a comparision between a Hartke head, as I've never played thru one. But, Crown's XLS series have a cooling fan. You can hear it, but its not annoying. At least its not to me. Once you're playing, even at low practice level, you wont even hear it.

5. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    The ambiant noise onstage at most medium sized venues, even when the band is not playing, is enough to make fan noise inaudible. Shouldn't be a problem unless you're playing either coffeehouses or trying to mic a rig in a studio setting.

Lonnybass

6. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    I had a QSC RMX850 and the fan was so noisy that I sold it. It was fine while playing, but in my quiet studio, it became very annoying...

SuperT

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I own a Hartke 5500 and if you stand very close to the amp or even lean over it and listen, yeah, you can hear the fan but while playing, it's completely inaudible! Not a problem to me. If you can hear fan noise over your playing, then I'd be concerned.

8. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Well that stinks . . . . as a reference on my Crest CA stuff, I have four of them driving the surround in my video room, and even in the room with the sound muted, the fans are just barely audible when running at normal speed - the air conditioning makes more noise.

- Tim