Fan on bass head is noisy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Harris, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Eric Harris

Eric Harris

Feb 8, 2019
    The fan on my M900 seems noisy. There is a high pitched whirr that has started. The amp seems to work fine, but the fan has gotten louder over the past couple days.

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Thanks for letting us know.

3. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Commercial User

Sep 16, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    Retail store manager
    Hey welcome to TB.
    Don't let that great first answer put you off.........:meh:
    Check for dust build up. You might need a can of compressed air - not fader lube (read the label) or a quick turn with your vacuum. If it's clean inside I'd guess a loud whirr is the beginning of the end for the fans bearings or races.
    If a home fix doesn't work find a local repair center ([email protected]) or simply play louder. :)
    It shouldn't be an expensive job.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  4. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Is that whirr an electronic whirr audible through your speakers?

5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Tell her to stop sitting on your amp, and cut down on the chatter.
    But seriously...is it mounted in a way that you can disassemble it from the head cab? Even if it isn’t, and you have get into the insides, yes, compressed air blow out is a good thing, should be a part of your periodic maintenence. If you can get to the hub of the fan blades, the slightest shot of WD40, or the smallest drop of 3in1 oil, wouldn’t hurt either.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Contact the manufacturer, they will have the best information specific to your amp.

Never use WD-40 as a bearing lubricant, that's not its purpose and will quickly become gummy and create a bigger mess. Wd-40 belongs far away from electronics.

7. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    IME failing fans in electronic gear are best replaced and I rarely see any that were built to be repairable - especially when they fail mechanically. Since thermal management is a key design consideration in electronic gear, and the fan's specifications were calculated as part of the thermal management approach, I would always want to use manufacturer supplied or approved replacement. Unless it's an obvious and simple plug and play job or you are a qualified tech, I would recommend having a technician replace the part.

agedhorse likes this.
  8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Play louder?